This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

As September comes to a close, autumn wind is bringing in all things Halloween— well, almost. COVID-19 has caused a lot of unfamiliar changes this year, and the way we go about celebrating holidays certainly isn’t exempt from that. However, this doesn’t mean all Halloween traditions and celebrations have to go out the door, just the ones that involve big groups of people (yes— that means no parties). Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday and October my favorite month, so I’ve compiled an October schedule that allows me to still enjoy every bit of the best time of the year. I hope this compiled list gives you some ideas or inspiration for how to get spooky safely!

1. The first and easiest thing to put down on your To-Do list is cozying up and watching movies. Picking a movie or special Halloween episodes of your favorite shows to watch is a great way to make this Halloween feel just like any other! Obvious choices are The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Addams Family, or your favorite scary movie! I’ve added Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island to my list this year. If you’re in need of more movie suggestions, I enjoy Hocus Pocus, The Haunted Mansion, Halloweentown, The Corpse Bride, Coraline, Arsenic and Old Lace, Monster House, and Ghostbusters. As for TV shows, American Horror Story and Stranger Things are some obvious scary choices, while shows like Community and Phineas and Ferb have some great Halloween episodes.

2. Get your Halloween snack on. If pumpkin-flavored treats or candy corn aren’t for you, try getting creative! Use melted chocolates to decorate Nutter-Butters as ghosts, or decorate deviled eggs as pumpkins! If that’s a touch more work than you’re willing to put in, buy some seasonal sugar cookies, or your favorite candies newly dressed up in Halloween themed wrappers. And when Halloween night rolls around, pretend you’ve just gone trick-or-treating and don’t hold back on the candy eating!

3. If you’ve got the time and space, decorate, decorate, decorate! This can be done by simply adding some fall colors to your space, or by going all out if you’re able. Going by your local craft store to splurge on decor and finding free DIY decor online are both great options. If nothing else, just a pumpkin from the grocery store can spice up a balcony, window sill, or kitchen top. 

4. Speaking of pumpkins, one of the most festive things you can do is carve jack-o-lanterns. You can make this a game or competition with those you live with by seeing who can carve the fastest or coolest or most intricate carving. And after you’ve carved your pumpkin, you can roast pumpkin seeds if you’d like!

5. While you may not be able to see all your friends in person, if you’ve got the money to drop on computer games, there are a few spooky options you can play with friends online. My personal favorite is Jackbox Games: Murder Trivia Party. Even the newly popularized Among Us can provide the holiday vibes you’re looking for. If you’re more inclined to play something on the scary side, playing Five Nights at Freddy’s or screamers might be more of your thing. If nothing else, you can always play a game of Mafia over Zoom!

6. If you still want to get out of the house for the season, and you’ve got transportation, take a night venture to look at Halloween decorations on people’s houses. Looking at brightly colored string lights while sipping on cider is not just exclusive to Christmastime!

7. Lastly, but certainly not least, just because you’re not leaving the house, doesn’t mean you can’t still dress up. Since many of us have spent a lot of this year unmotivated to leave our sweats, perhaps this is an opportunity for us to scratch that “dressing up” itch. You can DIY or buy a costume, get dressed up in Fall outfits (don’t be afraid to bust out that black lipstick!), or just wear some Halloween patterned PJs.

I hope this list provided you with some safe and spooky starting points for the upcoming month! Remember to stay socially distant, wear a mask, and have a Happy Halloween!

Samantha is currently a junior at UNT and is studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in philosophy. She enjoys poetry, creative non-fiction, and all things witchy. She can be found on instagram and twitter under @ghostgrimoire.