Six Summer Albums You May Have Missed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

This summer has been a whirlwind of new albums, new music, and new artists. If you haven’t been able to keep up with all the new releases, I’ve got you covered. Here are six albums released this summer that you may have missed. 

1. The Drums- Abysmal Thoughts

Released in June, Abysmal Thoughts is the fourth studio album by The Drums. Filled with the band’s familiar surf rock sound, the album beckons dark, fundamental questions about the world in combination with fleeting synth sounds and a hypnotizing dreamscape.

Song Recommendations:

Mirror

Blood Under My Belt

2. Fleet Foxes- Crack-Up

Crack-Up is the third studio album released by Fleet Foxes, their first release in six years. The album has received universal acclaim according to Metacritic, and for good reason. Brimming with introspective and sincere lyrics, Fleet Foxes creates an exhilarating, soulful ballad of an album.

Song Recommendations:

Cassius

If You Need To, Keep Time On Me

3. Declan Mckenna – What Do You Think About the Car?

The up-and-coming 18-year-old UK singer-songwriter Declan Mckenna released his debut album, What Do You Think About the Car? in July, though he was songwriting long before then. The album’s single, “Brazil” was written when Mckenna was just 15-years-old.

Song Recommendations:

Brazil

Isombard

4. Arcade Fire- Everything Now

Everything Now is the fifth studio album by Arcade Fire, released in July. Alongside the release of Everything Now was a satirical marketing campaign to promote the album, which included fake advertising and fake products. The campaign coincides with the messages heard throughout the album, finding meaning in a seemingly meaningless world.

Song Recommendations:

Creature Comfort

Infinite Content

Put Your Money On Me

5. Grizzly Bear- Painted Ruins

Their first album in five years, Painted Ruins is the fifth studio album released by Grizzly Bear. The album embraces euphoric vocals over piano layers and walloping beats, creating a gloriously mystical soundscape.

Song Recommendations:

Morning Sound

Three Rings

6. LCD Soundsystem- American Dream 

After LCD Soundsystem’s breakup in 2011, American Dream was announced in January 2016, the band’s first album in seven years, following This Is Happening. Since the album’s release in September, it has received widespread acclaim from music critics, including becoming LCD Soundsystem’s first number-one album in the United States, Canada, and Portugal.

Song Recommendations

oh baby

call the police

black screen

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.