The Sex Diaries: Age Makes a Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Age is everything when it comes to sex. And by everything, I mean everything: when you lose your virginity, how much you enjoy it, what you’re willing to try, and all of it in between. The biggest role that age plays in sex, though, is how old your partner is. Chances are, the older than they are, the more experienced they are. The more things they’re willing to try, and the more they know which lines not to cross. Now this is all conjecture based on my personal experience, so do with that what you will. but here are the top three things I’ve learned from sleeping with men older than me as compared to my same age. 

They are sure of themselves. The older you are, the more you’ve experienced what you do and do not like in a sexual partner. Because of this, older partners are more confident in their moves and even in what other people do or do not like. There’s something charming about a guy who isn’t very experienced and doesn’t know where to touch you, but there’s something even sexier about a man who does. Nothing beats when you’re between the sheets and he just knows what to do to make you feel good. Age does that for a person, trust me. 

They are more respectful. Now, that’s not to say that younger guys aren’t respectful of their partners. But because older guys are probably more sexually experienced, they know the little things that may or may not disrespect their partners. For instance, kicking her out after the deed is done? A rookie mistake by someone who is, say, 18. But for a 26 year old? He knows to buy you breakfast in the morning. And if he doesn’t, he’s just a jerk, but that’s a different story altogether. 

They’re clearer with their expectations. When you’re young, you may either not know what you want or you’re too afraid to say it. Older men, in my experience, have no problem setting the record straight from the beginning: is this a hook up? A one night stand? Do they want more from it? They’ll probably tell you from the very beginning, especially if you ask. They’re not afraid of honesty or labels or non-labels, and all you have to do is listen. 

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.