Season 3 of Black Mirror on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Stop everything and start watching Netflix’s season 3 of Black Mirror right now.

If you haven’t heard already or just happened to have too much of a social life to watch Netflix this past weekend, Netflix’s season 3 of Black Mirror was released. And while I totally had plans to go out all weekend and revel in the social circle that is my life, upon receiving a notification from Netflix alerting me of Black Mirror’s release, I made the rash decision to cancel all of my plans for the weekend immediately. I have already seen season 1 and season 2 (which I highly recommend) of Black Mirror, and have been waiting in anticipation for season three since. Now if you have been reading this in confusion because you don’t know what Black Mirror is in the slightest bit, here’s the explanation:

Named after the blank screens of a smartphone or tablet, Black Mirror is seemingly today’s most modern, foreseeable future of a show in terms of technology, and while the innovations that you see on the show are stunning, Black Mirror is more interested in exploring the darker, twisted side of technology and the detrimental effects it can have on humanity. Each episode is completely different from the next, containing a new plot, universe, and characters.

Season 3 is no different, with episodes ranging from a pastel dystopian society where everyone is rated on a scale of five, to a psychological thriller involving a video game that turns your personal fears into a CGI reality, to a massive database in which people’s consciousness can be uploaded to, thus guaranteeing virtual immorality. Black Mirror taps into the cloudy relationship between humans and technology, and can be best compared to The Twilight Zone, with dark twists and social satire. What makes Black Mirror so riveting is the fact that it feels so plausible, like an imminent warning for the possible future. The six episode season is worth a binge watch, and if you don’t have plans this weekend I highly recommend sitting down with some blankets and pizza and watching it, just be prepared to question your own reality.

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.