jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Realistic Stress Relief for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

College is stressful for even the most organized, well-balanced students. Classes, finances and work seem to be in the back of your mind no matter what you’re doing. However, even if you try to do things to de-stress and calm down, most “self-care” tips are either too vague, or cost money, which isn’t a great strategy for someone already stressed out about money. So, here are the best things to calm down or relieve your stress that are cost-efficient and helpful!

Take care of your hygiene.

You may think that you’re clean or clean enough, but taking a shower or bath can be a mental and physical reset. Having a completely clean set of clothes can make you feel re-energized and refreshed. I normally feel ready to be productive after taking a shower or bath, because at least I’m clean and have gotten something done. Using a nice smelling lotion or lighting a candle if you have them will also make you feel nice. If you like essential oils, use those as well. Aromatherapy is scientifically proven to decrease anxiety and improve your quality of sleep.

Put on a calming or feel-good show in the background.

Even if you’re someone who loves shows like SVU or Criminal Minds, they’re not the best shows to make you feel stress-free and peaceful. Try re-watching a show that you’ve seen before, so you don’t stress too much about what comes next. A show that makes me feel very stress-free is The Great British Baking Show. It has contestants compete by baking beautiful food and decorating it in different challenges. The contestants are always so nice to each other and it has pretty, lighthearted music in the background. Sometimes it’s better to choose a show that’s not necessarily your favorite but will improve your mood.

Get some daily-use apps.

Personally, I love “One Second Everyday” and “A Year in Pixels”, which require you to record things about your day. “One Second Everyday” adds recorded one-second videos from every day of your year to create a long, date-stamped video at the end of the year. I love that it forces me to find something good worth remembering about my day, every day. “A Year in Pixels” has you rate your day from out of 5, and document the emotions you felt during the day. When you exit to the full calendar, each day of the year is one colored pixel, depending on how you rated it. While not immediately stress relieving, I feel like these apps push me to record things about my life that I would otherwise forget. I also get to look back at what I have to appreciate.

Take breaks while working.

Working on homework for long periods of time can be harmful to your stress levels and your productivity. Make sure you take ten-minute breaks every hour or two. Do a small activity during your break- watch a quick YouTube video, make a snack or do some stretches. This can help you be more productive by breaking your work up into smaller portions.

Spend time with animals.

When you play with or pet an animal, it increases your oxytocin production, which is a stress-reducing hormone. It also reduces your production of the “stress hormone” cortisol. Spending time with animals also can lower your blood pressure and heart rate. Most universities offer dog therapy sessions in the Health and Wellness departments if you or your friends don’t own a pet. Pets improve your mood immensely, and they are a great stress reducer.

Don’t keep yourself cooped up.

College students, especially freshmen, can easily fall into the habit of staying in their rooms too much. Staying in your room all the time away from people isn’t too good for reducing your stress. Too often, you can end up depressed or feeling overwhelmed if you don’t ever leave your windowless dorm room. Taking a walk to a friend’s dorm, going to the union or library to do homework or even sitting in a common area can reduce your stress level that builds up if you stay cooped up.

Write things down.

Writing things down can help you organize what you need to do and help you keep your thoughts in order. If you don’t already keep a journal or planner, try to get in the habit of it. Writing out lists can be motivating, because you have a definitive list of what needs to get done today. Journaling is also a great stress reducer. I was told to keep a journal for years and never did, because I thought I had to document my day and things like that. I didn’t keep a journal until I realized I could write anything I wanted in it- drawings, song lyrics, nonsense, whatever I felt like doing.

Stress relief doesn’t have to include spending money, and there are lots of little ways to improve your mood and lower your stress levels. Keeping a handle on your stress before it gets overwhelming can pay off in the end!

Madison Snider is a senior at the University of North Texas, studying to get a Bachelor's Degree with a double major in Digital and Print Journalism and History. She is disabled and wants to bring awareness to issues facing disabled women and students. She loves to wear colorful eyeshadow and use makeup to express herself creatively. Madison hopes to be a journalist in the news industry after graduation.