Profile of Maddie Bellon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Quirky, kind, and inspired, Maddie Bellon is one of Her Campus UNT’s valued writers. Tackling powerful topics like mental health, feminism, and the grave importance of celebrity crushes, Bellon’s articles are teeming with brazen feminine energy. 

1. What is your major and classification?

I’m a sophomore psychology major.

2. What drew you to this major? Do you have an idea of what you want to do after graduation? Any specific goals for the future?

I chose psych because I want to be a mental health counselor. Going to therapy really changed my life and I want to be able to help other people get through tough situations. So hopefully I’ll get into grad school somewhere cool and become a therapist without going into too much debt. 

3. Outside of school and work, what are some goals that you have for yourself? What are your hobbies? 

I really want to open my own Etsy shop! I paint and embroider for fun and people have told me I should sell my work, so I’d like to give that a try. I’ve been reading a lot of contemporary fiction lately, too, and hoarding craft supplies. 

4. What made you want to join Her Campus, and what did you hope to bring to the organization?

I wanted to join Her Campus because I read it a lot to prepare for college. I was super anxious about leaving home, so I read tons of “Tips for Freshman” articles. It actually made me feel a lot better. As far as my role in the organization goes, I wanted to give my perspective. Her Campus is such a huge platform and I jumped at the opportunity to be able to talk about issues I care about, like feminism and mental health, and have it be so widely received.

5. In your opinion, why are organizations like Her Campus important?

I think it’s super important to give young women a voice and show that we value their ideas. I’ve also learned that it’s really important to be around such smart and interesting girls. I’ve made really great friends in this group and I’m very thankful for that.

6. Who are some women that inspire you? Why?

I’m inspired by so many women! Taylor Swift has been my number one since I was like 10. She’s such a great writer and she’s so sweet, I love her so much. Plus, she dated Harry Styles and that’s incredibly inspiring. I also really love Marie Curie, Tavi Gevinson, and Busy Philipps– but all for different reasons.

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.