Priscilla Presley- Executive Assistant for ‘Extra’ TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Name: Priscilla Presley

Job Title: Executive Assistant for Extra TV

Major: Converged Broadcast Media, Graduate of May 2015

Website: www.PriscillaPaigePresley.com

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrnxycXMuQ6pbOhCHXU8aBQ

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/priscillapaigepresley

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/priss_presley/

Meet Priscilla Presley, a recent UNT graduate and “It Girl” who is already making her mark in the entertainment media industry. Keep reading to follow her journey to Los Angeles, her internship with Extra TV, and advice for achieving your goals (no matter how crazy they may seem). Let’s get started!

Congratulations on graduating from University of North Texas last May! What have you been up to since walking across the stage?

Since graduation, I have been extremely busy! Although, the day that I walked across the stage I thought my life after college was going to be much different. Not too long after graduation, I got a call from the Television Academy Foundation in Los Angeles, California telling me that I had gotten accepted into their program. This was so exciting because it was always my dream to move to California and work in the entertainment media industry. I learned that my internship host would be Extra (you know, “EXTRA EXTRA”). I then move halfway across the country to start an incredible journey. I worked very hard during my internship for eight weeks, and now am working for them full time as an executive assistant.

You had an internship with Extra TV this summer? Tell us all about it!

My internship with Extra through the Television Academy Foundation was one of the best experiences of my life. I was able to gain incredible experience from media professionals in the field that I wanted to work in. The eight-week program allowed me to be immersed in the Extra offices full force. This led to my full-time position as executive assistant to the two executive producers of our show. I work very closely within all means of production and my bosses’ daily lives at work.

What do you love most about what you do? 

I thrive being in a fast paced industry where you never know what could happen. I love that I love what I do. I think it is essential to follow your dreams and passions in life in order to be the most successful person you can possibly be.

What is the most challenging part of your job? 

The most challenging part of my job right now is simply learning my job. I feel incredibly blessed to have been offered this position right out of college, so my biggest challenge at this point is challenging myself to do better every single day. The craziest part about starting my internship was seeing that there are so many different aspects to producing a show that I never realized. So much work goes into it! We have 150 employees doing all sorts of different things to produce the end product.

Are you happy with your job? Is it different than you expected? 

ABSOLUTELY! I am so happy that Extra has given me the opportunity to be able to work alongside some of the most talented media professionals in the business. If you would have told me a year ago that this would be my life right now, I don’t know if I would have believed you. I love the important role that I play in my bosses’ everyday lives.

What is it like working on set with celebrities?

I don’t really get star-stuck. Whenever you’re working you’re in the mind set to get things done. You realize that they’re everyday people that just have different jobs than we do. I may meet a celebrity where I get star-struck, but until then its part of my job!  

Tell us about your YouTube vlog series!

Growing my YouTube channel is something I’ve wanted to do for a while. I wasn’t able to focus on it in college because I was always so busy. Once I moved out to Los Angeles it gave me focus and let me help other people. YouTube was almost serving as a therapy for what I was doing moving so far away. It is something I really thrive off of. My videos are full of things that I wish someone would have told me because they’re the little things that can help no matter what profession you’re in.

What advice do you have for finding a job so quickly after graduation like yourself?

I think you have to really have passion and motivation driving you to an ultimate goal. It is not something that happens overnight, and I really believe that you have to constantly be highly dedicated to accomplishing every goal that you set for yourself. I don’t think I could have personally done it without my incredible support system cheering me on along the way.

You’re doing amazing things! What is next?

I think that it’s crazy. I look back at college when I was involved with North Texas Television and wanted to be a news reporter. Then, I realized that it wasn’t really for me, so I started hosting and producing with ntTV. My goal was that I wanted to go to L.A. in the future. I want to be an executive producer, so I’m working towards that. I would love to create my own show one day, and get back into hosting. My goals are always evolving, and I think that’s good because it means I’m learning and trying new things.

What advice do you have for us collegiettes? 

I want others to know that it’s okay not to know where you’re going to end up. In life, we’re expected to know exactly what we want to do, and that’s not right. You have to be passionate, and it’s okay for your goals to evolve. You just have to take everything one day at a time. I want people to know that’s it is not always this easy. I pinch myself knowing that this is my life. If it doesn’t happen as smoothly as you want it to you just have to believe in yourself. Don’t get discouraged because every single person’s path is different.

That’s a wrap! If you are inspired by Priscilla’s journey to Los Angeles with Extra TV, make sure to check out her vlog series on YouTube (link listed at top of article). UNT students can connect with Priscilla on LinkedIn. To contact Priscilla, visit any of her social media handles. Work hard and dream big, collegiettes!

Lauren is a Public Relations major at University of North Texas with a passion for blogging, DIY, food and learning about the world. She's a self-proclaimed Pinterest addict, coffee lover and constant smiler who can (almost always) be caught eating. She has a serious case of wanderlust and hopes to one day work for a lifestyle and PR firm, as well as publish work focusing on travel.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.