freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

For whatever reason it happened—it’s over. You can either a) choose to lay in bed and cry over some Ben & Jerry’s, b) stalk his socials on a daily basis to see if he’s suffering just as much as you, c) accept his calls saying all the right things but you can’t help but know it’s only a broken record, or d) all of the above.

But do you even recognize yourself? Times like these require the highest level of self-worth. If I were to burst in your room, push my way through days worth of tissues and opened dorito bags and hold up a mirror, would you see what I see? 

Trust me I get it, you loved him, you had 3 a.m. conversations about what kind of wedding you would have, you re-read the words of “forever” on his anniversary gift and you wonder when everything got so lost. 

I say don’t give up on love so easy. But when this happens to be the third or fourth time, and his words hurt more and more each time, it’s not love. It’s dependance. 

“But we’ve been together for years, if it’s over it all would’ve been for nothing.” 

Is the excuse you keep convincing yourself of. But hi, it’s me, reality check. 

Every season of your life is different, the person placed in your timeline is there for a reason. You learn from them, you learn how to love like you’ve never loved before, you learn their point of view, you learn that your heart can indeed break. It’s okay for the season to end, and for things to change.

Sure he was great, but there will be someone greater. 

Time is the darkest form of magic; it can grant you passion and connections and take it away just as easily. But that’s just it, time is relevant, it’s magic because you control how you use it. To drag along a dead relationship for the sake of time, is losing every second you could be living in new ones. 

You will get past this–it may seem like the world will never find it’s color again, but I promise, once you realize you are worth loving the way you dream of, the black and white will fade.

The fear of being lonely sinks in; will he be the only person who could ever love me? 

If you associate being alone as a bad thing, that my friend, is a sign that you haven’t spent enough time loving the most important, and trustworthy person in your life—you. 

If you don’t love who you are, how will you expect another being to love you? 

Time will heal you, as cliche as it sounds, that’s part of it’s magic. Trust it, and trust yourself. You know what’s best for you, and if it’s not him, no matter how much you love him, love yourself more. 

Wanna be lawyer who's knee deep in the fashion industry with a caffeine addiction (: