The Period Diaries: The Best and Worst Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

It happens every month. Our ovaries go into a panic and we wake up in pain only to discover that our little friend has come back for a visit. You’ve started your period.

Periods are a natural experience that women of all ages will through in their lifetime. Our menstrual cycles may not be the easiest things endure (some are more difficult than others), but it is a process we have to go through, for three to seven days every month. 

Periods can be long and hard. Luckily, we have different types of products and essentials to help assist us through one of the hardest weeks of the month. These products, though they all have the same goal, vary in their effectiveness. All period products are NOT created equal. 

Here are some suggestions on what products you should and shouldn’t use while on your period.

PRODUCTS TO USE: 

1. GladRags- GladRags are reusable, comfortable cloth menstrual pads hand made in the USA. If you’re a girl who likes comfort, helping the environment, and protecting your body from the harmful chemicals found in most disposable pads, GladRags are your new thing. Unlike regular pads, they’re not irritating or scratchy.

2. Off brand pads and tampons- We college girls have to be diligent with our spending, and feminine hygiene products can become expensive. We want the best value for the cheapest price. This is why I recommend buying the off-brand version of your favorite hygiene product rather than splurging on the regular one.

3. Dark chocolate- Yes ladies, I used the C word. I can’t speak for everyone else, but I tend to have a major sweet tooth while I’m on my cycle. I feel like my sugar radar goes on high alert and I would be able to detect chocolate from a mile away. Dark Chocolate is the best option to satisfy those sweet cravings because they help relax your muscles, provide antioxidants, and help keep you smiling without having to consume too many unwanted fats.

PRODUCTS NOT TO USE:

1. Aldi tampons- Aldi is a good store to buy simple groceries like cereal, power aid, and maybe some candy, but you should avoid buying your feminine products there. Aldi has received multiple reports of their tampons falling apart or splitting in half while “on duty.” Quality is everything ladies, especially when it comes to hygiene products. 

2. Dairy products- I’m one of Ice cream’s number one fans, so it hurts me to say that dairy it not the best thing to have while on your period. Unfortunately, dairy contains arachidonic (fatty) acids that may actually make you more uncomfortable and cause cramping.

3. Salt- It may taste great on our food but salt is one of the worst things to have while on your period. Periods already make us crampy, achy, and bloated, and foods high in sodium tend to make that much worse. 

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.