Orooj Syed: Co-Founder of Her Campus UNT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

“You are terrifying and strange and beautiful, something not everyone knows how to love.” – Warsan Shire

At only nineteen years old, Orooj Syed is already proving to be more put together and “adult” than I’ll ever be! Luckily, I got to sit down with her this week to learn some of her secrets on balancing school, co-founding an organization, and the many friendships she has surrounded herself with. 

Orooj is currently a junior biology major at UNT, studying to be a doctor. She wants to “help people and make a difference in the world,” specifically by becoming a psychiatrist. “Mental health is an issue that’s starting to grow more prominent as time goes on, and I want to do my part in helping individuals cope with their illnesses.” When she’s not studying for the MCAT, you can find her watching Grey’s Anatomy (of course), Shameless, or Cutthroat Kitchen.

Being a bio major is no joke, so I asked what prompted her to co-found the HC chapter on top of all of her school work. 

“I wanted to bring Her Campus to UNT because we needed a female-driven organization and I felt like this was the right one for me. I really enjoy writing because it allows me to express myself, and when all of the homework and studying gets overwhelming, it becomes my escape.”

Orooj is no stranger to ambition, but how does she handle it?

“I try to balance everything out and prioritize what requires the most attention per day, and then I just go from there. At the end of the day, it’s important to trust your gut when it comes to relationships, school, friendships.. everything. Your gut is always right.”

Orooj is registered to take the MCAT this summer, and to hopefully graduate in December 2017! But first, she says she’s looking forward to moving in with her two best friends in January!

Hey there! I'm Kaitlin and I attend The University of North Texas for Interior Design. I have an unhealthy obsession with anything Disney, almost all types of chocolate, and my 2 year old golden retriever, Bentley. Find me rearranging my room, changing my outfit 18 times, and dancing along to Panic! at the Disco or Taylor Swift in the meantime.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.