North Texas Food (For All Your Needs)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Cover photo credit: the Odyssey

This week we partnered with our sister chapter, Her Campus SMU, to bring to you the top food spots in or around North Texas!

Homestyle French Toast Breakfast – Old West Café

Old West Café’s breakfast is one of the best in town and the morning time rush is real in this homey southern diner. The menu is full of delicious eats, but their French Toast is unrelieved, they have a few and they’re all sweet buttery and completely to die for!

My Recommendation:

The Scout

Location:

1020 Dallas Dr. Denton, TX (changing locations soon)

Sunday Brunch Scramble – Seven Mile Café

Seven Mile Café is an adorable little converted building perfect for your next brunch with the girls. The cutesy atmosphere and delicious breakfast is a great way to start your Sunday!

My Recommendation:

Avocado Scramble

Location:

529 Bolivar St. Denton, TX

Burgers with a Twist – LSA Burger Co.

LSA or Lone Star Attitude Burger Co. is the best in the North for a good old fashioned rock and roll burger. The gourmet burger joint offers up eclectic décor, a celebration of Texas tunes, themed burger names, and local live music. It’s perfect for families or anyone interested in burgers and music with a Denton, TX backdrop.

My Recommendation:

The Psychedelic

Location:

113 West Hickory Denton

Margarita Monday (and every day) – Rusty Taco

Sometimes you need a drink, and Rusty’s is the best place in Denton for a great marg. Their happy hour margaritas are cheap and pack a punch, so if you’re headed there for a good time make sure you have a designated driver or a sober ride home because you’re gonna leave tipsy.

My Recommendation:

Strawberry Margarita

Location:

210 East Hickory Denton, TX

Midnight Donuts – Back Dough

The backdoor operation of Queenie’s is a fun little spot for donut lovers whose love surpasses regular morning hours. Back Dough opens Friday and Saturday night from 11PM to 1AM, perfect for anyone stumbling home after a long night and in need of a sugar rush.

My Recommendation:

Everything

Location:

115 E Hickory St, Denton, TX (behind Queenie’s Steakhouse at the Austin Street Door)

Local Pizza Dive – Crooked Crust

Crooked Crust is a staple for every UNT student, but it’s more than just a convenient pizza spot. Crooked Crust offers up a great college atmosphere, great prices, and some of the best pizza in Denton. 

My Recommendation:

The Mean Green

Location:

101 Ave A, Denton, TX

Sunday Brunch – Bread Winners

Bread Winners has all your favorite breakfast options with delicious twists that guarantee you will leave satisfied. This restaurant has been a Dallas staple since the 90’s and continues to be a classic brunch location for a Saturday that includes SMU Boulevarding and Football.

My Recommendation:

Normandy French Toast, Warm Cinnamon Rolls

Locations:

8687 N. Central Expressway, Dallas TX, 75225

5560 West Lovers Lane, Dallas, TX 75209

3301 McKinney Ave, Dallas, TX 75204

Burgers with a Twist Twisted Root Burger Co.

Located close to SMU, Twisted Root takes a twist on classic burgers. With pickles made in house, spiked milkshakes, and wild meat to add to your burger including buffalo, rabbit, kangaroo, duck, alligator, and lamb

My Recommendation:

The Spicy Goat Burger, Happy Pilgrim Burger, Fat Elvis Milkshake

Locations:

5609 SMU Blvd, Ste 102, Dallas, TX 

2615 Commerce St, Dallas, TX

Classic BBQ Pecan Lodge

Great for a weekend lunch excursion, the Pecan Lodge is open from 11-3 every day aside from Friday and Saturday when they stay open until 10 pm! This place is voted one of the “Top 4 BBQ Joints in the World” by Texas Monthly, so be prepared for a mouth watering experience

My Recommendation:

“The brisket is a dream come true”

Location:

2702 Main St, Dallas, TX 75226

Slice of Pie Emporium Pie

Located next to Pecan Lodge, this pie shop sells whole pies or sells them by the slice. If you ask for it to go, they package them in handmade wooden To Go boxes that make you feel like a kid again.

My Recommendation:

The Drunken Nut, Smooth Operator, Dr Love… seriously just skip lunch and try them all.

Locations:

314 N Bishop Ave, Dallas, TX

2708 Main St, Dallas, TX

Crafted Tacos Velvet Taco

Velvet Taco has reinvented the taco as we know it. With a line curving around the restaurant due to popularity, these tacos don’t disappoint.

My Recommendation:

Tuna Poke, Picnic, Nashville

Location:

3012 N Henderson Ave, Dallas, TX

Bad and Boozy – The Rustic

Great for a night out or for a place to bring those visiting Texas. With live music, a huge bar, and outdoor picnic tables and strung lights. The Rustic will guarantee good drinks, a good meal, and good time.

My Recommendation:

Frozen Moscow Mule, Frosé, Texas Goat Cheese, Texas Quail

Location:

3656 Howell St, Dallas, TX 

Kelly is a junior at the University of North Texas, studying interdisciplinary Studies and Spanish. When not blogging, she enjoys cooking, online shopping, pinteresting up a storm, and exploring both Denton and her hometown of Dallas. You can follow along with her adventures on Instagram or see what's she's pinning lately on Pinterest, she's @kellysredmond on both.
Karna is a Junior at Southern Methodist University studying Public Relations, Advertising, and English. She is the Social Media Director for Her Campus SMU, as well as a member of STUMO and Alpha Chi Omega. She is from Orange County, California and loves going to the beach and spending time with her younger sisters when visiting home. When she is not studying, Karna is usually exploring Dallas, listening to country music, or updating her blog, Simply Karna.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.