To My Future Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

As college students, we are all aiming for certain goals. Whether it’s our career, family, or simply sense of self, we all have certain visions for our future that we hope will work out the way we want them to. Well, life is a risk, and no one knows what’s going to happen. All I hope for my future self is that I remember who I am and who my supporters are so that I am never lost, but since my memory fails to serve me time and time again, I think I’ll need a little reminder. So here’s a letter to my future self:

Hey you. I guess I should start with the biggest, most important question of all time- are you still just as short as you used to be? It’s pretty annoying being down here all the time. I hope your body woke up one day just a few inches taller. If it didn’t, don’t worry too much; you are cuter than you think, even if you still wake up with terrible bedhead and haven’t grown into your nose yet. Trust me, you’re beautiful. If you’re still anything like me, you tend to forget that you’re worthy of love and being cherished. Never, ever forget that the truth is otherwise.

You are not a victim of your past relationships, good or bad. No matter who you are or aren’t with right now, you are your own woman. Your favorite quote used to be: “you are terrifying and strange and beautiful, something not everyone knows how to love.” It’s still true to you now, I’m sure. So believe it.

Did you make it to medical school? Did you find the cure to cancer? Okay, you never really wanted to do that, but I hope you did it anyway. I hope your dreams grew to be even bigger than I can imagine, whether they’re similar to mine or not. I wonder what you’d say to me now, if you have any words of wisdom. I’m sure you’ve learned a lot, and you may even read this and think I’m some delusional girl lost in wonderland. Well, excuse my bluntness but- I really hope you are still a delusional girl lost in wonderland. I hope you’ve kept your imagination close to your heart and that you still draw in your free time and you take too much creamer in your coffee and you never wear flip flops. I hope you’ve learned to like pineapple and have gotten better in biology and, most important, learned how to properly apply mascara. Above all, I hope you’re happy.

Love always, Me

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.