This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

“We work so hard and for every performance and gig to be canceled is rough, but I miss my community of musicians the most,” musician and producer Taylor Haun said. 

Austin is home to a variety of artists and aspiring creators. Taylor Haun is one of these hopefuls, aiming to create a positive change with his music. 

Haun comes from a substantial musical background, having played in a collection of orchestras, bands, world-fusion, and Afro-Cuban groups. He first served as a high school band director at a few Austin ISD schools, before quitting to fully pursue his passion professionally. 

“I began Odosound in 2016 to help further the bounds of music education by creating a record label that aims to teach music production and technology as well,” said Haun. “I release songs through this label, but work under Soundtrap of Spotify now.” 

Soundtrap enables users to create podcasts or music through a digital workstation that combines various platforms. Haun is extremely dedicated to helping further the music of knowledge, and this job allows him to help other music educators utilize this helpful tool. 

“COVID-19 has made life as a music educator hard as well, as online teaching and recording sessions can be tough,” said Haun. “With Soundtrap, people without access to the best resources have it thanks to more educators learning how to use it, and it is free for anyone to make music with.” 

Haun ended up having students all the way in China learning how to use the platform from him, as most music-making resources are illegal there. 

Apart from educating others on music production, Haun released his first album on June 20th of this year, after many months of songwriting and mixing with the help of other musical collaborators. 

He had plans for many live performances of songs off the album but is thankful to perform virtually as well. Even though months of preparation for various projects did not come to fruition, the loneliness of working from a home studio can hinder the creative process. 

“I miss weekly rehearsals for Austin Samba and the other bands I’m in, collaborating in person just gives a whole different feel,” said Haun wistfully. “Music brings people together and creating something from nothing is the best thing in the world.”

“I am lucky enough to have my own studio I made right before the pandemic hit, otherwise, working would have been impossible…but it still isn’t the same.” 

Hi, I'm Sanjana Iyer! I am a proud 20-year-old Indian-American, born and raised near Boston and moved to Austin, TX before high school. I graduated from Lake Travis HS in 2018 and am aiming to graduate a year in advance from UNT in 2021 with a Digital/Print Journalism degree and a double-minor in Criminal Justice and History. Traveling, singing, adventuring, nature, sports, and music are some of my greatest passions. I enjoy Kpop and Anime as well. I am a huge advocate for animal, environmental, minority, and women's rights. I am also an Isha Meditator, along with being one of the main vocalists for Sounds of Isha (Austin Branch). I tend to live by the phrase "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" and highly believe in a carefree, free-spirited yet spiritual, aware lifestyle. ~ Aspire to Inspire