This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Cover photo by the Odyssey

Megan Crossman is an Interdisciplinary Studies (a fancy way to say Elementary Education) major on path to mold young minds.; but before that she shares how UNT has molded her own mind.

What does UNT mean to you? 

UNT is a very unique school in a very cool town. It is accepting of all different types of people and the students at UNT express themselves individually. People at UNT and in Denton give off a very friendly vibe.

Your best college experience so far? 

I have a lot of fun memories from college but the first one that comes to mind is the snowpocalypse from my freshman year. I was living in the dorm Maple when a huge ice storm came through right before winter break and class was cancelled for a week. Since I was living in the dorms, most of my friends lived right with me so we would go out and sled every day and not study for our final exams that had been postponed.

What’s the greatest lesson college has taught you so far?

If you have the slightest indication that being roommates with someone will not work out for whatever reason, DO NOT LIVE WITH THEM. There is always options so just don’t risk the friendship. 

So other than being a student and working, what do you like to do?

I love to run and I try to everyday. I enjoy getting together with friends and family to hang out or play games. I go to concerts and festivals. I like to go on road trips when I get some free time. I also love to foster puppies and kittens when I get the chance.

How does it feel to be a senior?

It’s exciting that I’m so close to graduating and (hopefully) getting the job that I’ve always wanted. At the same time, there is a sense of apprehensiveness because of the major changes that will happen in the next 4-6 months. I sometimes feel anxious because I don’t know where I’ll be working and therefore don’t know where I should start looking for a place to live.

What do you plan on doing after graduation?

I plan on applying for a job in different districts before I graduate and hopefully interviewing and getting a job before or soon after I graduate. I will have my usual summer job as a nanny in Dallas beginning in May. By August I hope to have my first job as a teacher.

What do you love most about being an education major?

I love how many opportunities this major gives you to realize this is the career you actually want. It would be a shame to go through four or more years of college with little to no classroom experience and then realize this isn’t the path you want when it is too late.

Advice you would give to incoming freshman?

Have fun, socialize, make friends, try new things, go out. You don’t want to get to the end of your college years and come to the realization that you missed out on so many things because you were depressed, too tired, anxious, lazy, etc. Make the most of each day because college really does fly by. Four spring breaks, four winter holidays, four summers off and then you’ll be an adult with even more responsibilities than you have now. Another important piece of advice for freshman is to become familiar with the services available to you. You have so much offered to you right on campus so make sure you know of these things!! (Free doctor appointments, printing, rec center/free classes, career center, so much more!)

Advice you would give to your newcomers in the education majors?

Plan ahead. Know what classes you need to take and when you need to take them. I thought I had done this but unfortunately that wasn’t the case. I always wanted to graduate in four years but I got to my last semester before student teaching and realized I had 22 hours of classes left. I ended up getting special permission to take that many hours (while working two jobs) and it was the craziest semester of my college career. Create a savings account for your senior year. During PDS2 you will be a teacher intern for a minimum of eight hours every day, not including drive time. You will be essentially working the hours of a full-time job without the pay so plan ahead and save as much as you can for your last semester.

Kelly is a junior at the University of North Texas, studying interdisciplinary Studies and Spanish. When not blogging, she enjoys cooking, online shopping, pinteresting up a storm, and exploring both Denton and her hometown of Dallas. You can follow along with her adventures on Instagram or see what's she's pinning lately on Pinterest, she's @kellysredmond on both.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.