Photo of Kamaya Black
Photo of Kamaya Black
Kamaya Black
Style > Beauty

Meet Kamaya Black, Creator of XclusivlyKCB Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Kamaya Black is 20-year-old sophomore Interdisciplinary Studies major at the University of North Texas. Her brand XclusivlyKCB is a collection of handmade, custom hair bonnets, head scarves, and sleepwear. Kamaya started XclusivlyKCB in the summer of 2019, and the official launch was in September.

Kamaya started the business in search of a new hobby that would provide additional income. She began by searching videos on YouTube to find business ideas she could start from home that were not overly saturated. She thought of a product that she uses daily–a hair bonnet. Now that she had a product, she set off to begin production. Kamaya bought a sewing machine, and with the help of YouTube, refreshed her sewing skills. She continued to practice sewing until she perfected her stitch. When she’s not studying, her bedroom becomes her workspace where she sews bonnets and fulfills orders. Kamaya also sources her own fabric for each bonnet.

“Bonnets from Beauty Supply stores in my opinion don’t last that long,” says Kamaya. “The fabric is poor quality and they do not stay on through the night. I wanted to create something that was genuine and great quality.”

A post shared by The XclusivlyKCB Collection (@xclusivlykcb) on

So what is a hair bonnet?

According to Haircritics.com, “Hair bonnets are a form of head covering used to protect hair. They are used when a person is sleeping in order to prevent damage that is caused by sleeping on the hair, as well as the pillowcase sand damage from tangled hair.” Bonnets are essential to Black women’s hair care routine. The satin lining in hair bonnets protects the hair while sleeping and helps lock-in moisture.

Kamaya is able to keep up with business demands by keeping an on-hand inventory available for purchase on her website https://xclusivlykcb.com/. She also fulfills custom orders for customers who want a personalized design or fabric, or for those who want to represent their sorority.

Kamaya has received a lot of support from her fellow students. Students saw her posting regarding XclusivlyKCB and place orders with her directly. She has participated in entrepreneurial events where she showcased and sold products. One of the first events she attended was the Zeta Beauty Expo hosted by the Rho Delta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., where she “made a lot of money and got good exposure.”

Kamaya shares that, “Majority of my sales come from people at UNT. I feel that they [UNT community] supports me pretty well.”

So why does she do it? 

“It’s relaxing,” she says. “It is a good way for me to start something for myself. Leave a mark on campus for people to know who I am. I want to be known for something, and not just be a regular person. I want to have my name out there”.

“I want to be as big as Fashion Nova,” she says. “I’m just a college student trying to be great.”

Keep up with this great young lady and XclusivlyKCB on socials.

Twitter: @kcheriice

Instagram: @k.cherice, @xclusivlykcb

I am currently a Junior at North Texas studying Fashion Merchandising and Journalism. I love keeping up with the latest fashion and beauty trends.