Alaisha Sells, UNT Her Campus Secretary, posing at a local restaurant.
Alaisha Sells
Culture > News

LeadHER- Meet Alaisha Sells

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

If you don’t know who Alaisha Sells is, you will soon. Alaisha is a UNT senior majoring in Broadcast Journalism with big dreams. Between her role as the Her Campus Secretary and the Executive Producer and Host of Royal Affair for NTTV, she knows better than anyone how important it is to hustle to make your dreams reality. You can bet that one day she’s going to be the next Ellen Degeneres, but for now, she’s making her name for herself here in Denton. 

What inspired you to run for a leadership position at UNT? 

I wanted to do something that would force me to come out of my shell and get involved. I wanted to be able to lead a group of girls who could learn from my mistakes and ultimately become better than I was at their point in life.

A post shared by Alaisha ? (@laaayyy___) on

How has being in Her Campus changed your college experience? 

Her Campus has really brought me out of my shell. I have become very comfortable with being in front of people. I’ve seen so much growth within myself and realize that it was only because I took that step. Her Campus has given me a solid friend group that I can count on and lean on. 

Who is your biggest influence and why? 

My biggest influence has to be Gabrielle Union. This woman is unapologetically herself. No questions asked. She doesn’t hold back and stays authentic no matter the position she is in. She isn’t afraid to go against the grain and break the mold. That’s a true go-getter.

What advice would you give freshmen year you if you had the chance? 

“What’s for you will be for you.” I spent so much time focusing and chasing the wrong things that it allowed me to get distracted and at one point fall flat on my face (literally). Nourish the things that truly feed your soul and let go of anything that does not. It is not fair for you to drive yourself crazy over things that you cannot control. Everything works out in due time, whether it be the way you planned for it to go or the way it was meant to go.

What is one goal you plan on achieving this year? 

This year I plan on achieving true love for myself. 2020 is all about pushing myself to do exceedingly and abundantly great things. I’ve spent so much time sleeping on and underestimating my potential. That’s over now. Im proving to myself that I am destined to be great.

Do you think it is possible for women to achieve their dreams with competing against like-minded women? 

I think that it is definitely possible. It would be even more possible if we all worked together. I think that society has done such a number on us (women) where we believe that in order to succeed, the next women has to fail. That is far from true. We’ve lost track of the fact that we are better together and if we come together, the sky is the limit. 

What are three words that describe you? 

Goofy, persistent, ostentatious. 

How would you like to be remembered? 

I would like to be remembered as someone who did everything she could to be everything she every wanted to be. Someone who was the voice of the youth, the voice of the generation. Alaisha Sells will be a household name.

What in your life has brought or given you the greatest fulfillment?

Right now my greatest fulfillment is being the producer and host of my own talk show ‘Royal Affair.’ This opportunity has been a blessing. It excites me to be doing something that I have dreamed out at such a young age. Here I am, 21 years old, being the producer of such a successful talk show, not to mention we’re one of the only shows tailor-made to the African American community. I am dedicated to creating content for us, by us.

Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.