Labels: What They Are and How They Hurt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Labels.  We label everything from who we are, what we do, to how we dress.  We allow labels to define us and take over our lives.  When we are labeled by our ethnicity that sometimes becomes all that people see in us. If we label ourselves as Mexican, we are supposed to “act” like it, or else people become uncomfortable.

Labels, though prevalent, are hindering in their limitations. Unfortunately, in our society, labels are everything. People see you only as brown, black, white, Asian, Mexican, African, Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, etc. There are so many labels that it honestly makes no sense.  The only labels that should matter are good and bad, which frequently aren’t even taken into account. 

Labels hurt people. They do more harm than good because they create rifts. I acknowledge that we are different but, at our core, we are still the same; we are humans. Why must we label ourselves with our skin color? Skin color doesn’t define you, that isn’t your label. I hurt every time I hear someone of my culture say “Oh, you’re Mexican?” or “Oh, you’re Latino/a?” to a person who has fair skin, colored eyes, and light hair. This creates the idea that there is only one correct way to exist. 

The only label that we need is our name. Our name is the only “label” that matters because that is who we are. Labels have always been around but do they really have to define our personhood? If that is the case, I will make my own label. I am a young Latina that grew up in a bad part of town, who got out, traveled the world, is receiving a good education, and trying to make a name for herself.  If I am to be known, I want to be known as a young woman who is carving her own path. Labels have never defined me and they shouldn’t define you either.

I am a fun loving, nerdy, chill, cool girl. I love being a comic book nerd and love to talk about anything and everything. If you want to play video games or even board games I am your girl. I love playing multiplayer games as well as Twister!!! I have a very corky fashion style and well I love it!! I am just a girl that knows what she wants and will try to get there.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.