Kayla Charles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

For this week’s profile, I interviewed my co-founder, Kayla Charles, in order for the UNT population to learn more about what made her want to start Her Campus at our school.

What made you want to start Her Campus?

My first year at UNT was spent staying to myself and not completely being involved in anything. One of my biggest goals in life is to leave a positive impact everywhere I go. In the middle of the fall semester I realized that I wasn’t living up to my goal and I knew I needed to change that. I’ve been an avid Her Campus reader for years and when I finally stumbled across Her Campus chapters I knew it was perfect. Starting a chapter at UNT wasn’t only about how it would affect me, but about the positive effect it would have on the UNT community. 

What do you think women empowerment means?

When I think of women empowerment, I think about the beautiful power of a woman. The beauty of a woman extends so much deeper than surface level and her power is strong enough to change the world. The sad thing is that some people don’t feel that way about women and that’s why women empowerment is so important. Every woman should know how valued and important she is to this world. For years we’ve been told what we can and cannot do, but we have never failed to raise above that. I am so proud to be a woman and I want to make sure that all women feel that way too.

What is your ultimate goal in life?

My ultimate goal in life is to live every day of my life to the fullest and leave a positive impact on everyone and everything I come across in life. My goal requires a lot of daily effort. It’s so easy to lay in bed all day or go through the day without doing something positive for someone else, but I don’t want to do what’s easy. I remind myself of my goal every day and try to achieve it in the smallest ways, even if it’s just smiling and holding the door open for people.

How has being a part of Her Campus changed you or affected your life?

The most obvious answer is that I’m always busy now. Every day there’s something I can do to help the chapter grow and build. I’ve been a leader for an organization before, but Her Campus is a truly unique experience. Being an editor for our online magazine has truly motivated me to start writing again. Reading the great content from our writers every week reminds me how beautiful writing really is. Managing the organization side of things has been the most challenging and exciting for me. Being a leader for Her Campus has taught me so much about myself and encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone. Her Campus is such a huge part of my life now and I couldn’t be happier about all the positive effects it’s had on it.

Last question. What is the craziest thing on your bucket list?

My bucket list is pretty long and crazy. I want so much out of life, so I’m constantly finding new interesting things to add to it. The craziest thing on my bucket list that I hope to achieve soon is to take a road trip with no destination or plans. I plan to pick a mile amount or designate a certain gas budget and see how far and where it takes me. This may not be the safest or most logical thing to do, but to me it’s more about having the chance to live freely and go where the wind takes me.  

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.