This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I have always been a massive fan of Joaquin Phoenix as an actor, but over the last year, I fell in love with him as an activist and person. Aside from being an avid environmentalist, he is a passionate advocate of animal rights and veganism. As most know, he won the Oscar for ‘Best Actor’ this past Sunday, delivering a poignant and well-articulated speech both honoring his brother and living up to his profound legacy. 

Known for his multiple participations in protests, he even goes as far as getting arrested to stand up for what he believes in and give animals a voice. Being a vegan and activist myself, it emboldens me to be better and take charge of my life as he does. Having to be in such an overcast spotlight can dull even the brightest of lights, but all Phoenix does is shine on. Utilizing his heavily-visible platform, I cannot even express how much I admire his dedication to expressing genuine thoughts and waking people up, rather than hiding behind stipulations and extended fallacies. We need more people in the face of fame to support humanitarian efforts and actually help communities implement positive change on major issues at hand. With every award show, anytime he had to give a speech, he reiterated his outlook on the animal and dairy industries, and voiced a call for climate change. His realization and respect for his success is evident through his many prolific stances and imminent, bold advocacy. 

He is always on the go, taking part in whatever he believes can make a difference. Less concerned with any of the typical attributes of being famous, Phoenix dedicates his time to causes needing action and keeping his life personal. His new short film, “Guardians of Life,” moves one to tears, as it showcases how the climate crisis is destroying our planet. It serves as a huge wake-up call, and invokes many emotions from start to end. Starring Rosario Dawson as well, the 2-minute film was made in partnership with Amazon Watch and Extinction Rebellion. It is the first part of an upcoming 12-part series in relation to an environmental non-profit. Phoenix did this project to incite action and inspire people to stop waiting for our governments to change things for us, when all the time we have is NOW. 

Did Joaquin win Best Actor or Best Activist? The world may never know.

Hi, I'm Sanjana Iyer! I am a proud 20-year-old Indian-American, born and raised near Boston and moved to Austin, TX before high school. I graduated from Lake Travis HS in 2018 and am aiming to graduate a year in advance from UNT in 2021 with a Digital/Print Journalism degree and a double-minor in Criminal Justice and History. Traveling, singing, adventuring, nature, sports, and music are some of my greatest passions. I enjoy Kpop and Anime as well. I am a huge advocate for animal, environmental, minority, and women's rights. I am also an Isha Meditator, along with being one of the main vocalists for Sounds of Isha (Austin Branch). I tend to live by the phrase "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" and highly believe in a carefree, free-spirited yet spiritual, aware lifestyle. ~ Aspire to Inspire
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.