This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Here we are at the beginning of another year, and I’m back with my monthly playlists! I know you missed me, don’t lie. In light of the Grammys this past Sunday, I’ll be giving you a few Grammy-winning or nominated tracks, as well as a few other choices. Let’s get into it!

1. “xanny” by Billie Eilish. While “Bad Guy” took home the Record of the Year award, this song is even more powerful. The ache in Eilish’s voice is clear as she sings about being the only sober one at a party, clearly lamenting the loss of her peers to drug addiction. It’s hauntingly beautiful with oppressive production meant to mimic secondhand smoke. 

2. “Cherry” by Harry Styles. I haven’t gotten to talk about this album officially yet, but you best believe that review is coming soon (late, I know). This song is devastating, with Styles’ voice wavering and choked with heartbreak. The voice memo of his ex-girlfriend at the end cements this as a top-tier track for breakups for years to come. 

3. “Crybaby” by Lizzo. While Lizzo became a smash hit over the last summer with “Juice” and “Truth Hurts,” her album has hidden gems of classic R&B performances like this one. Her vocals are bombastic, powerful, and downright sexy, with killer, Prince-like production. Lizzo is one of the most talented vocalists out there, and this track proves it.

4. “Never Going Back Again” by Fleetwood Mac. “Rumours” won Album of the Year in 1977, and has won Album of the Year in my heart since birth. A simple, country-esque tune, the guitar jangles along cheerily and Lindsey Buckingham’s vocals are smooth and easy. This is a good break from the more in-your-face songs from the album. 

5. “ARE WE STILL FRIENDS?” by Tyler, the Creator. Tyler won his first Grammy this past Sunday, for Rap Album of the Year, for an album almost nobody would consider rap (he himself called the Recording Academy out on this). However, this album is absolutely deserving of any award it receives; this track echoes old funk and soul, and builds to a crescendo of wails that sum up the lost love message of the album. 

Journalism major. I like dogs, poetry, and iced coffee, in that order. 
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.