I Love Being A Big Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

From going to a family of six to eleven was one of the most drastic changes that my family has ever went through. My loving and supportive parents had four biological kids and then so honorably adopted five kids. Our lives were forever changed when they became a part of our family. I am the third oldest, so having the opportunity to be a big sister to six kids is the best! Although I was already a big sister to one, being a big sister to six is such a huge different dynamic. They are the most appreciative, honest, vibrant and loving kids I know. They all have such different personalities and hearts. I never thought I would ever be a role model or an inspiration to one person, but knowing that six little kids think I’m a princess and the greatest role model is truly an honor. I love getting calls from home that one of them learned to do a backflip, that they lost a tooth or that they learned to use the restroom. My siblings are my whole world, there isn’t a thing I wouldn’t do for them. They are my sunshine on my darkest days. I don’t know what life would be like if my parents never adopted my younger siblings. My household is never quite, but it is full of laughs. They are beautiful, kind and I know they have made my life a million times better. I wish I could protect them forever and never let anyone hurt them. I wish they would never grow up and stay little forever. I know everyday they are growing, learning and finding themselves. But I will always be there big sister who thinks of them as my precious babies. They have changed my family’s life forever. Everything I am and do is for my siblings and I will love them until the end of time. The Martinez Family is loud and crazy, but most importantly, we are a team.

I love meeting new people, sharing my personal stories, and always staying true to myself.