How This Youtuber Turned the Term “Under Appreciated” Into His Brand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Have you ever felt under appreciated? Corey La Barrie sure has. 

Corey is an Australian Youtuber based in LA. Since posting his first video in February of 2016, Corey has filmed over 200 videos, and racked up 333k subscribers. While this number is impressive, Corey has commented about how it can be frustrating that certain videos do better than others, depending on who he is collabing with. He often jokes about living in the shadow of some of his friends who have a higher subscriber count (granted, most of them have been doing this longer), despite having a loyal fan base that watch all of his videos regardless of the content. 

Another frustration Corey has brought up is the amount of hate he receives on not only his videos, but his friends, who he is often featured on. After participating in a video called “Last Youtuber to Leave the Freezer Wins $5,000” while drunk, many commenters felt the need to point out the Corey was being annoying- despite the fact that he made the video interesting with his obsessive yelling about Air Pods. Watch the video, and try and convince me otherwise. 

So to say that Corey is under appreciated might be an understatement. Between his wit and his ability to make anything a joke, Corey is one to watch in the future. 

Now, Corey has partnered with Fanjoy to create merch with his coined term- the line includes t-shirts, sweatshirts and phone cases. His latest drop includes his hometown, Adelaide, Australia, and its corresponding coordinates. Each piece includes a signature rose that matches one of his tattoos. 

He also recently started a duo channel with fellow YouTuber Crawford Collins (AKA little brother to WeeklyChris), who you may remember from his Vine days. Their channel, Corey and Crawford, currently sits at 75k. They post twice a week (usually) and post videos like “Baking A Cake Without Instructions” and “We Turned Ourselves Into E-Boys!!”

They also recently started a podcast, which they named Under Appreciated, where they spill at the tea on their personal lives, and feature fellow Youtubers as guests, such as vlogger Bobby Mares. Nothing is off limit’s, and they might just get themselves into a little bit of trouble while they are at it. 

If you want to follow him on his journey, and make him feel way more appreciated, you can find him on Twitter and Instagram @coreylabarrie, His Youtube channels ‘Corey La Barrie’ and ‘Corey and Crawford,’ as well as his Tik Tok, which he has found a newfound love for, @coreylabarrie.  

Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.