alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Pack Smarter for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Spooky season is officially over and holiday season is officially over the horizon, and we all know what that means! It’s time to start planning for your travels back home no matter what you are celebrating for the months of November and December.

I’ve curated the following list of  some seriously ingenious packing hacks to ensure that your travels really are as wonderful, all around, as this time of year should be.

Whether you are traveling nationally, internationally, by car or plane, keep on reading for so serious game-changing tips!

Make a Packing List

If you’re anything like me, you’re probably super OCD about making a packing List. (Sometimes even weeks in advance). I absolutely hate forgetting things while traveling, specially clothes, and so I try to do one of two things: either overpack or plan my outfits day-by-day. You want to maximize your travel, so try and plan outfits ahead and make a list even before you whip out your suitcase. Remember you have to save a little bit of space for the things you’ll bring back!

Maximize your Suitcase

First things first, three words: Roll. Your. Clothes. This is essential, especially if you are a chronic overpacker like moi! Lay out the majority, if not all your clothes, and roll them individually to fit them into your suitcase as efficiently as possible. Trust me, this hack is an absolute GAME-CHANGER.

If you want to take a step further, you can even roll your clothes in a pillowcase for maximum compression, and it also keeps your clothes wrinkle-free. If you don’t want to struggle and use one of your pillowcases, you can even invest in packing cubes for the ultimate organization.

Fold your undergarments. Another one that may seem like common sense, but instead of just lobbying them around and shoving them to the bottom corner of your suitcase, fold and arrange your underwear inside the cups of your bras, which will both keep your bras in good condition without squishing them, and save space.

Use your shoes. Pack any extra loose items inside of your shoes where they’ll be safe and sound. Then stow your shoes in a shower cap or spare bag before packing em’ in your suitcase.

This one is a given, but remember to put your shoes and your heaviest items first into the suitcase.

Wear your Bulkiest Clothing Items While Traveling

A smart hack is to actually wear your bulkiest clothing items you plan on bringing, while traveling, if possible.

The Trick is to pack Versatile and Transitional Clothing

Be sure to pack versatile outerwear items — you know, jackets you can throw on over just about anything you’ve packed in your suitcase, so you won’t have to spend 20 minutes color-coordinating to the one jacket you brought that doesn’t go with anything else in your wardrobe.

Transitional clothing is key when packing smarter and not harder.  In this case, basics are your friend. Pack versatile and transitional clothing that you can easily layer on for cold temps, and feel cute and comfy in while attending multiple holiday soirees and gatherings while back home.

Carry-On Essentials

Pack a change of clothes in your carry-on, this way if your flight or luggage gets delayed, you can still be fresh. “Emergency” items are must because sh*t happens. You don’t want to be completely blindsided if anything happens, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. You should stow away any of your car ride or long flight essentials into a different bag from the one you put on the overhead bin, that way its at an easy access reach and you don’t have to keep tugging at your carry-on in the overhead bin.

Pack Presents Separately

Whatever you do, DO NOT pack already-wrapped presents onto your suitcase. The TSA reserves the right to tear em’ apart and then you’ll just have to re-wrap them once you get home. Pack them separately and carefully, so you can just wrap them once you get to your destination with calm.

I hope you were able to take a hack or two to help make your travels be a smooth and wonderful time, just like it should be!

Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.