This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

We all want to get in our bag and be successful right? Well, in order to get there, you have to meet certain requirements and go through a tentative process, depending on what exactly you want to do. Once you meet the requirements as far as your resume and application is involved, the company will contact you for your interview. When you get that call or email to come in for your interview, do not take it lightly. You are almost to the bag! So, here’s a few simple easy tips on how to nail your interview Regardless if it’s a small company or a larger company or organization, follow these simple steps and you got this! Good luck!

First things first, first impression is everything. Use your best judgement when picking out what to wear to your interview. Business casual, or sometimes you might have to dress it up a little bit more, but never wear jeans. Always wear nice slacks, skirts, or trousers, or a dress. Wear a nice blouse or button down and add accessories. Ties, bowties, pretty jewelry (nothing too eye catching) or a nice blazer always adds a little spunk.

Next, be on time! “On time is late and early is on time”–remember that. The night before– do some research on the route that you’re going to take include traffic if you have to. Be at least 10 to 15 minutes early before your appointment. Remember, the first impression is everything! When you get there, try to limit time on your cellular device while you’re waiting, remain professional at all times.

Thirdly, show your personality from the minute you walk in to the minute you walk out. Even if you’re not the happiest person or not in the best mood, remember you’re there for a reason, so smile. Show that your excited to be where you are and you want the opportunity. When you’re being interviewed, laugh a little, smile a little, get comfortable. 

Fourthly, make those connections and sell yourself. This is the time to show yourself off and brag on yourself. Depending on the questions they ask you, most interview questions involve something personal that has happened with you, so step outside of your box and do just that. When interviewers see that they can connect with you beyond just the job title, it builds relationships and connections further down the line, even if you aren’t offered the position.

Last, but not least, be patient and do not be discouraged. Remember you are where you are for a reason, and you have done all that you can. Remain humble and level headed if you’re offered the position or not. If you’re offered the position, remember why they picked you and keep that same energy! Do not switch it up, because you’re there for a reason. If you aren’t offered the position, keep applying and keep going. You got this! Always remain patient, sometimes it can take up to weeks and months to hear back from anyone and if that’s the case, send  a follow-up email and check in, don’t be afraid. 

Most importantly, get to your bag! You got this!

Hello, I am Tierra Bartie. Born and raised in Port Arthur, Texas. I currently attend the University of North Texas where I am a broadcasting journalism major with a minor in English. When I am not studying im either sleeping, eating, or hanging out with family and friends. I love working out in the gym and journaling as well.