How To Bring Art Into Your Daily Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Art is a beautiful thing, it’s one of the many things that separate humans from animals. Art helps people express themselves and organize their thoughts. It doesn’t take a lot to bring art into your daily life, all you need is a little imagination!

1. Doodle on receipts! 

This is one of my favorite things to do, it’s nice to just sit down and create something. You don’t have to be good at drawing to have fun doodling! All you have to do is grab a pen and some paper. Here is a picture of my latest doodles.

2. Look on Instagram! 

Instagram is full of amazing artists, just look up the hashtags #art, #modernart, and #painting. Some of my favorite accounts are @danielarsham (he does a lot of really cool futuristic sculptures), @metmuseum (the museum in NYC, they post about their current exhibits), @artfido (they post all kinds of art, modern, classic, and photography), @art_daily (they post drawings, paintings, even pancake art!), and @labigotta (she is an amazing black ink tattoo artist, I hope to get a tattoo from her one day).

3. Look around you!

Art is about more than pen and paper, it’s about creating something that sends a message. Look at the buildings around you, what style of architecture is it? Why are the flowers planted that way? Why did they pick that font for the billboard? Art doesn’t have to be complicated, it just has to be thoughtful.

4. Write!

Writing is also art! If you are more talented with pens than charcoal, then pull out a journal and get started. You don’t have to write a novel, you could start with simple journal entries or blog posts. You could even write poems, short stories, essays, jokes, monologues, the possibilities are endless!

There is art all around you, all you have to do is look.

Hello, my name is Leah Butler and I am a writer for Her Campus at UNT. I am an English major right now (probably going to change it again!) and I hope to write a kick ass book one day. I love to write, cook, and hang out with animals.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.