jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Avoid the College Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

College is often described as a period of discovery and excitement. The opportunity to make new friends, get involved in campus organizations and events, and to have more freedom to figure out who you are and what you want to do with the rest of your life can be a daunting task. Adding “out-of-state student who doesn’t know anyone” on top of all of that can leave you feeling even more anxious. It certainly had an impact on my first year, coming from Virginia to Texas. Here are a few tips that can make time away from home easier.

Don’t spend all of your time in your room.

It’s normal to feel homesick occasionally, but staying in your dorm is a surefire way to exacerbate homesickness. Get out of your room. Study in different buildings and areas around campus. Take a walk. Go to the gym. Go out to eat. You’d be surprised how many unlikely friendships you’ll find just by doing the simplest things. 

Talk to family or friends.

Sometimes calling your parents, siblings or friends can have the opposite effect. Personally, talking to a family member once a day has helped me build a stronger connection with my college because I know that home is only a phone call away. It can be comforting knowing you have family and friends to talk to, even when you’re feeling isolated, bored or alone. 

Do activities that you like to do.

Watch one of your favorite movies. Read your favorite book. Listen to music. Do things that make you happy and pass the time when you have nothing to do. Even if you’re doing them alone, enjoy that alone time. 

Study.

It may sound boring but doing homework and studying not only can help you get ahead in classes and excel on tests and assignments, but it can also distract you from feelings of isolation and loneliness. When you start to feel yourself going to that sad place, pull out a textbook and review for several minutes.  

Get involved and stay involved.

The best way that I’ve been able to make good friends is by getting involved in organizations and going to events held on campus. It may not seem like it, but there is definitely a student organization for you. You just have to find what interests you. Usually, there are organizations linked to your major. Try those out first. Attend meetings and events. Introduce yourself to people. You just might find a friend for life.

Give the transition time.

You’re not alone. A lot of people have a difficult time adjusting to college life. Take the transition one day at a time. Put yourself out there. Challenge yourself. Work hard to accomplish your goals. College is only a small portion of your life. Use these years to learn more about yourself and to grow as a person.

Kaycee Hubbard is an undergraduate student at the University of North Texas majoring in journalism with a concentration in digital and print. She has had work published in her college's newspaper, The North Texas Daily, and for USA Today. She hopes to pursue a career in music journalism and write for a magazine after graduating. In her spare time, she enjoys singing and listening to old school R&B, reading fantasy novels, and exercising.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.