This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

It’s that time of year again when everyone is searching for the best movies to watch on Halloween. With the range of options available, both horror and family films, it can be difficult to narrow down which ones are perfect for a marathon. For my fellow horror fans, here are some suggestions of both classic and modern movies to add to your list to watch.

Halloween. When the name of the holiday is the title of the movie, you know it’s a must-watch. The Halloween franchise is a staple in the horror genre, and even people who aren’t avid fans of slasher films know about this iconic film. Between Jamie Lee Curtis’s beloved performance as a scream queen and the memorable villain, Michael Meyers, the Halloween movies are a necessity for your Halloween watch list. 

Nightmare on Elm Street. This is another iconic franchise in the horror genre, and also has one of the most recognizable villains. The concept of Freddy Krueger killing his victims in their dreams made audiences terrified to go to sleep, and it has had the same effect on younger generations watching as well. For an infamous character and classic scares, the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise is also one to consider for your marathon. 

The Conjuring. This one is a modern franchise, but it has quickly made a memorable impression on horror fans. Based on the cases of Ed and Loraine Warren, real-life paranormal investigators, these movies focus on the hauntings of everyday families, a possessed doll, and a demonic nun. While the first two films may seem like your typical haunted house story, they include several scenes guaranteed to make you jump and will make a great addition to your movie session.

It. Fans of Stephen King and horror in general will love this film, as well as the sequel that came out last month, although that one may not be accessible to watch from your home. Centered around a group of kids that gets terrorized by the evil Pennywise the Clown, It is a recent film that has become a favorite amongst thriller fans. The scares in this film as well as the lovable relationships between the characters will make this a fun film to watch. 

Hereditary. While this is a stand-alone film, it is an example of modern horror that truly sticks with audiences. Hereditary tells the story of a family experiencing some strange and disturbing occurrences after the death of their grandmother. Classified as both a supernatural and psychological horror, this movie is filled with shocking scenes that audiences are still talking about and will be a memorable part of your Halloween marathon. 

Whether you want to re-watch some of your favorites or want to try something new, these films would be excellent choices for your ideal horror movie marathon and are sure to give you some great scares. 

Senior at UNT majoring in advertising and double minoring in English and social sciences.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.