This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

It’s been more than two weeks since the 2020 Golden Globes aired on NBC. There were so many huge wins and honors that night, but the moment that stood out to me the most happened towards the very end of the show. Rapper and actress Awkwafina was presented with the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical for her leading role in the comedy-drama “The Farewell.” This huge honor has made her the first Asian American woman to ever win a Golden Globe in a leading actress category. 

Awkwafina has become such an influential entertainer over the past few years. She went from making music videos and posting them on YouTube to then starring in “Crazy Rich Asians,” which was one of the biggest movies of 2018. Her artistry has led her to becoming an incredible role model, especially to those in the Asian community. Representation and inclusivity are two things that Awkwafina has displayed during her time in the entertainment industry and will continue to do so in her future projects.

Danielle is currently a senior at UNT majoring in Broadcast/Digital Journalism and minoring in marketing. When she's not in school she likes to watch YouTube and Netflix, sleep, dance, hang out with friends, go out to eat, and listen to music.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.