Here’s All You need to Know About BTS for the AMAs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

BTS, a seven member K-pop boy band, has recently taken the world by storm. For some, this is old news, but for many, the world of K-pop is a new playing field. But don’t worry, by the time you finish reading this article, you’ll know about a thing or two about the industry, and understand why there is so much hype about BTS.

In America, achieving the spotlight can be as simple as uploading a viral cover, or winning a singing competition. However, that isn’t the case in South Korea. The K-pop industry is a brutal and very manufactured business. Many adolescents dedicate their childhood to this system in hopes of someday making it big. To put it in perspective, this process is like the Hunger Games.

Before even starting the process of training, you must audition to become a trainee. Once you pass the audition, which can range from less than two minutes, to more than an hour, then you must sign a contract with the company. Training consists of several years of vocal practice, dance lessons, acting classes, modeling lessons, and more. You also must pay a fee for training services. On top of that, the amount of time put into training can amount to that of a full-time employee, plus school and everything else.

Throughout the many months and years of training, these kids go through multiple evaluations and skills tests. Then, based off these assessments, the company will form a girl or boy group, duo, or a solo act, all of which are subject to change. From there, the company will decide when and who will make their debut. Regardless of all the time, money, and effort to debuting, often, new artists and groups will disband within one to three years due to low sales and small fan bases.

Since the beginning of this industry, K-pop charts were dominated by three companies, also known as the big three: SM Entertainment, JYP Entertainment, and YG Entertainment. However, BTS defies the prejudice of the big three, strategic marking styles, and the K-pop industry in general. For starters, BTS is signed under Big Hit Entertainment, a small company which only has two groups signed under them.

What sets BTS apart from the countless other K-pop groups, is their music, choreography, and MV’s. These three things mainly distinguish themselves from their competition and predecessors. In comparison to the majority of K-pop idols and groups, BTS does it all. They work hard, look good, sing, rap, and dance in perfect sync. Not only that, what really distinguishes them is the fact that they have the liberty to write, compose, produce, and remix a lot of their own music. In America, this is not an uncommon thing to see. But, in the K-pop industry, this is a rare talent and opportunity. Majority of idols and groups have their music written and produced for them – they only should perform as they are told. Remember, it is a very manufactured business and industry.

In their music and MV’s, BTS talks about many substantial things, and expresses the hardships in life, which many people can relate to. To us westerners, this isn’t a big deal because we have many artists who speak about very deep, sometimes controversial, topics. This is not promoted in the K-pop industry because it is still a very conservative business, in terms of behavior and topics of public discussion. Regardless, BTS promotes the ideas of self-love, following your dreams, being yourself, defying the status quo, and rebelling against the pressures of society. Their music has meaning and substance, in comparison to their competition.

What’s most endearing about this group of seven, is their constant engagement with their fans by actively providing content on social media platforms such as: YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, V Live, and their online fan café. BTS shows their dedication to their fans by sharing their lives beyond the stage, and expressing their fears and feelings to their fans and audience. For other groups, they don’t go the extra mile to engage with their fans, some don’t really know who they are beyond the stage and all things superficial.

Overall, BTS is unique, and are not afraid to go beyond the cookie-cutter template of what a K-pop idol should look and act like. There is a reason as to why they have broken so many records. Some records include:

• Selling over 1 million copies of their recent mini album ‘Love Yourself: Her’
  • First K-pop group nominated for a BBMA
  • First K-pop group to win Top Social Artist at the BBMAs
  • Highest charted K-pop full album in US iTunes overall albums chart for ‘Wings’ at #1
  • Highest ranked K-pop single on US iTunes top 100 songs at #29 with ‘Blood, Sweat, and Tears’
  • Highest ranked and 1st Korean act to break into the UK album chart at #62
  • Most YouTube views for K-pop boy group in 24 hours with over 9 million views with ‘Spring Day’
  • Fastest k-pop group to reach 10 million views in 41 hours with ‘Blood, Sweat, and Tears’

This is not the full list of everything they have won, but you can find them online somewhere. They’re hard work and dedication is being recognized all over the world, including the States. This week they’ve had countless radio interviews, and were invited to be on The Late Late Show with James Corden, Jimmy Kimmel Live, the Ellen DeGenerous Show, and more.

But before all that, they will make their American TV debut at the 45th American Music Awards on Sunday, November 19, 2017. Fans from all over the world are ecstatic about the countless accomplishments and recognition BTS has earned in the past two years. So, tune into the American Music Awards for their performance of their latest title track ‘DNA’ on Sunday, and see why BTS has taken the world by storm.

I am a senior at the University of North Texas: majoring in biology with a double minor in chemistry and psychology. I am the current treasurer for Her Campus UNT, and I aspire to be a Doctor of Physical Therapy. Outside of my responsibilities, I like to play volleyball and engage in creative activities.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.