Here’s All the Scary Movies You Have to See This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I never thought I would be a horror movie fan. In fact, growing up, even the trailers of movies like IT and Orphan gave me nightmares. Now, in my twenties, I make it a point to see as many as a can. Have horror movies gotten less scary? Maybe. Have I matured? Yes, but I’m not sure how big of a role its played regarding my taste in film. Regardless, as long as Hollywood keeps putting them out, I am going to watch them. Here are all the movies I predict are going to be worth the watch. 

The Turning (January 24)— If you read Turn of the Screw in high school like me, you might be apprehensive when it comes to seeing this, but it is worth reliving. Following a woman named Kate Mandell as she becomes a governess fro a seven-year-old named Flora, we see her slowing begin to lose her mind over what is real and what isn’t real as she discovers secrets about the family she’s working for. 

Fantasy Island (February 14)— A mysterious man brings a group of lucky young adults to an island said to make all their dreams come true. Suddenly, their wildest fantasies turn into nightmares, and they have to solve the mystery of the island in order to survive.

Brahms: The Boy II (February 21)— Did anyone ask for this? I sure didn’t. But I am interested in how they are going to play on the ending of the original movie. A new, young family moves into the Heelshire Mansion, and the youngest son finds the porcelain doll and befriends it. Child finding creepy doll outside of creepy mansion with a creepy past—What could possibly go wrong?

The Invisible Man (February 27)— Loosely based on the classic book of the same name, this adaption follows a woman in an abusive relationship and just how far her abuser will go to make sure she suffers. Elisabeth Moss plays Cecilia Kass, who is left a large sum of money after her ex commits suicide. Nothing is as it seems—and she’s going to prove it.

A Quiet Place II (March 20)— The sequel to the highly acclaimed ‘A Quiet Place,’ the audience will explore what life is like after the traumatic events of the first movie. Now the family of four—baby included—must venture outside of their home—in silence—and the creatures that hunt based on sound aren’t the only thing lurking outside of everything they know. 

Antlers (April 17)— Based on the short story ‘The Quiet Boy’ by Nick Antosca,  a small-town teacher tries to make an impact on the kid that no one talks to—and soon she’s going to learn the reason why. I don’t know how close they are going to follow the original story, but I recommend reading it if you have the time. It’s creepy in all the right ways. 

Antebellum (April 24)— Again, not much is known about the plot of this film yet, but we know that Janelle Monáe is set to play the lead character, a successful author who finds herself in a nightmare-like reality. The Antebellum Period was pre-Civil War, and based on the trailers, we can bet that the situation she finds herself in isn’t pleasant. 

The Organ Donor (May 15)— The ninth installment of the ‘Saw’ franchise, we will see a continuation of the storyline they’ve been working on as opposed to a reboot. The film will star Samuel L. Jackson, which makes it worth seeing regardless of you feelings of the series. Fun fact: this it the first ‘Saw’ movie to not be released in October due to production wanting to avoid competition with ‘Halloween Kills.’

Fear Street (June)— Everyone, unless you are living under a rock, has heard of/seen/read an R.L. Stine story. Set in 1994, Fear Street follows a group of teens who discover that all the terrifying events happening in their sleepy Ohio town are linked—and now they are targets. 

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (September 11)— Okay, tell me this title isn’t creepy? We get to see Ed and Lorraine Warren, adaptions of the real-life paranormal investigator duo, as they take on one of their most chilling cases yet. While they are fighting for the soul of a young boy, they encounter the first murder suspect to claim possession as their defense.

Halloween Kills (October 16)— Sequel to 2018’s Halloween, and the twelfth installment in the Halloween Franchise, Halloween Kills is about to put an end to the Michael Myers and Laurie Strode feud. The third and final film will be ‘Halloween Ends,’ set to release next year.

Escape Room 2 (November 30)— As an avid-lover of escape rooms, I jumped at the chance to see this movie. While it was a bit cheesy, I loved it. Not much is known about the plot for the sequel yet, but they ended the last movie with the sole-survivors of the game gearing up to fight back, and the game-makers ready to fight back. Who will win this time? 

I’m Thinking of Ending Things— When I heard Netflix was adapting this novel, I was stoked. After a couple goes to meet his parents, everything starts to go wrong, and they take a detour filled with tension and terror. You aren’t going to expect the ending, at all. The release date hasn’t been announced yet, but keep an eye out—you aren’t going to want to miss it. 

Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.