This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The beauty about a new season isn’t the blooming possibilities or the chance to switch out your turtleneck sweaters for bikinis. It’s the ability to reinvent yourself. 

The ice has melted and it’s time to come out of hibernation. The things you’ve been putting off all winter are just nudging to be heard, and the itch to press the restart button is suddenly present. Among other spring tasks like registering for summer classes, finding an internship, or putting coats away is one of the most underrated spring activities—spring cleaning. 

Here are just a few reminders of where to start decluttering your life, oh, and your space.

1. Floors 

You’ve regularly swept and mopped your floors all winter as you should, but there are spots that never come out. Time to grab a good floor scrubbing brush, bleach, or floor cleaner, and get dirty! Scrubbing excess dirt or stains on floors requires extra muscle, so don’t be afraid to go all in. Afterward, you can even add some shine or polish as a finishing touch.

1. Windows 

These collect the most dust over the many months of neglect, so undust your duster and head for those blinds. After, raise blinds and use a glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth to clean windows. To complete the window cleaning experience, it’s important to vacuum the fabric drapes/curtains. 

1. Fridge 

Something I’ve always said I was going to do but never got around to is cleaning out my fridge. Don’t wait until you smell a foreign substance coming from the back, start now! I would begin by throwing out expired food or condiments, and taking everything else out and onto the counter. Wipe down interior shelves, deep clean those removable bins. Don’t forget about the bins on the fridge door, remove and wash to get rid of bacteria or spilled food. 

1. Bedroom 

There are many sections within this room to clean but I’ll give you the overview, washing your comforter is always a good place to start. You’re also supposed to wash your pillows 2 or 3 times a year so now would be a good time to wash those according to their care instructions. If you really want to go crazy, you can tightly vacuum your mattress and spray it with a disinfectant. Moving on, dusting off bookshelves, and using Windex to clean mirrors are the next steps. Clean out your makeup drawers, wash makeup brushes/sponges, clean out your hairbrush, and use disinfectant wipes to sanitize surfaces. 

1. Closet 

This is actually my favorite part of spring cleaning, out with the old and in with the new! One rule I always have because of my unhealthy shopping obsession is donating the same amount of clothes/shoes as I buy new ones to keep everything in balance. While taking your heavy coats off the hangers and into a storage container, keep an eye open for items you want to donate. Go into your dresser and re-fold all those crumpled-up t-shirts and workout pants. An extra tip I learned is to place fabric/dryer sheets in between clothes to make your drawer smell amazing. 

These are just a few steps to follow but of course, clean as you see fit. Spring is a fresh, new budding season, and it’s only right that your space fits the same description.  

Wanna be lawyer who's knee deep in the fashion industry with a caffeine addiction (: