Fun Cardio Alternatives For Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

When you think of cardio, running is probably the first things that come to mind. Now, I know running is not everyone’s cup of tea – I know for sure that it’s not mine. Running is a part of my workout routine, however, I am for sure not a distance runner like my mom. Therefore I don’t run for a long time – maybe 30 minutes max when I’m feeling determined (which I don’t most of the time)

Running is actually very good for you and benefits your entire body, not just your legs. However, running tends to get repetitive and gets boring easily, especially if you are on a treadmill versus running outside.

Here are some fun alternatives for running that will get your heart rate up: 

1. Dance I love dancing, and if I was aware of how much I loved it as a kid, I wouldn’t have quit. Dance is definitively a fun way to get your heart rate up, especially when you are doing it with friends, and is also a full body workout. For me, dance is a way for you to let go, get into the music, and have fun!
  2. ZumbaIf you aren’t comfortable with traditional genres of dance, such as contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, etc., then Zumba is a great alternative. Throughout the years, Zumba has become a genre of its own, consisting of simplified dance steps into fun exercise routines to upbeat songs. Of course, like “traditional” dance, there are different levels of difficulty and intensity.
  3. Jumping Rope The intensity of jumping rope is probably equivalent to running. However, you don’t have to make it a chore- do it old school! Invite your friends and start skipping like you use to on the playground, or even make it into a competition! There are plenty of games out there that you can use as a form of exercise.
  4. Step Classes Step classes are kind of a mix of Zumba, Pilates, and using different workout equipments. You wouldn’t really think much of step classes, but let me tell you, they can and will kick your butt (of course in a fun way!). Enthusiastic instructors are very supportive and always pick out upbeat songs that set the pace to help you increase your heart rate.
  5. CyclingIf you are feeling a little more on the lazy side, cycling is a great alternative for you! Using a cycling machine can range on intensity depending on how you use it; however, it will make you sweat like crazy, even without setting a resistance level! And guess what? You can just sit there and move your legs while watching TV, or read, or even work on your blog!
  6.  
I am a senior at the University of North Texas: majoring in biology with a double minor in chemistry and psychology. I am the current treasurer for Her Campus UNT, and I aspire to be a Doctor of Physical Therapy. Outside of my responsibilities, I like to play volleyball and engage in creative activities.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.