Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Five Things to Remember When You’re Going Through a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Recently, I’ve been going through a pretty rough breakup. It’s taken me on a roller coaster of emotions and it feels like it doesn’t have an end. More than I would like to admit, I have to remind myself that I’m going to be okay. Here are a few things to remember when you’re going through a breakup that might help you focus on what’s ahead instead of what’s behind you:

1. Time heals. It’s the most cliche thing anyone can say but still true. You’ll adjust to not having that person in your life anymore and find your routine again.  

2. You can’t control other people’s feelings or reactions but you can control yours. 

3. You are so loved and there are other people in your life who care and will be there for you. Reach out to family and friends if you need to.

4. This is an opportunity for you to focus on yourself. Do something you’ve been wanting to do. Put your energy into the things you love and the relationships that make you happy. 

5. There will be another person in the future who will light up your life in ways you never thought possible. This isn’t the end of your romantic life, if anything it’s an opportunity for a new beginning.

Hopefully, we’ll all be thriving soon, but until then we can keep these things in mind and focus on getting there.

I'm passionate about writing, books, tattoos, art, feminism, true crime podcasts, and more. Integrative studies major (Communications, Digital Media, Journalism).