Female-Driven Spooky Movies to Watch for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.
  1. Alien (1979) – A classic lost-in-space movie with an iconic tagline, Alien follows a crew being stalked by an alien on their own ship as they attempt to return home. This film firmly established Sigourney Weaver as the queen of sci-fi, and queen of beating the tar out of aliens in increasingly awesome ways. Warning: it can be gory at times.

2. The Love Witch (2016) – Set in the modern day despite the entire atmosphere saying otherwise, this film follows Elaine, a witch, as she tries to find a man to love. It doesn’t go well for any of them. Or her. Truly a film to watch, if not for the gorgeous aesthetic alone.

3. Scream (1996) – A film that both mocks typical slasher tropes and lovingly embraces them, Scream follows a group of teenagers, particularly Neve Campbell as Sidney, as their town is being threatened by a slasher with a mask called Ghostface. The ending plot twist is still shocking today. Warning: can be gory at times.

4. Suspiria (1977) – Set at a German ballet school, the protagonist Suzy begins to notice some incredibly suspicious goings on. In light of this film being remade by Amazon Studios, enjoy the original. Warning: it is very gory.

5. The Craft (1996) – Set at a Catholic school full of witches, this intensely quotable film remains a classic. Many people have been known to buy black lipstick and a choker after seeing this film.

6. The Babadook (2014) – A single mother and troublesome child find a mysterious book on their doorstep, and are promptly haunted by a demon who likes to eat worms. This film is perhaps known for being the scariest movie to come out of 2014, and having an incredibly nuanced perspective on grief.

7. Verónica (2017) – Set in Madrid in June 1991, Verónica is a film about a teenage girl, the titular Verónica, and her family being haunted after she uses a Ouija board with her friends. This movie makes a strong case for not using Ouija boards and listening to blind nuns who smoke by themselves in Catholic school basements. It is also one of the only films I’ve ever seen that actually made me sleep with the lights on, so there’s that.

What are some of your favorite female-driven movies to get in the spooky mood?

Journalism major. I like dogs, poetry, and iced coffee, in that order. 
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.