Female Artists/Female-Fronted Bands to Listen to for Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

1. Mitski Miyawaki, known by her stage name Mitski, is a Japanese-American woman who can portray seemingly every human emotion. Famously elusive, she rarely comments on whomher music is about, but all of it sounds like something you’ve felt but you’ve never talked about out loud. Her music is sometimes danceable, always melancholy, and honestly life-changing.

Our favorite tracks: Happy, Townie, Two Slow Dancers

2. Hayley Kiyoko is a Canadian-American woman who, yes, used to be in Lemonade Mouth. Since her Disney Channel days, however, she’s been making lush pop music that speaks to young gay women and reassures them. Her music videos are also incredible, and it’s clear she the fun, fresh pop star we’ve all been needing.

Our favorite tracks: This Side of Paradise, Gravel to Tempo, Mercy/Gatekeeper

3. Janelle Monae is an American woman who is, perhaps, the new queen of funk, and maybe of all music. While she rose to fame in 2013 for her second album, The Electric Lady, her 2018 album Dirty Computer is a masterpiece itself for the “emotion picture” that accompanied every amazing track. Not only that, but her incredible live performances prove she’ll be around for a long time.

Our favorite tracks: Q.U.E.E.N., Django Jane, Don’t Judge Me

4. Annie Clark, known by her stage name St. Vincent, creates mind-blowing art that truly defies genre. Her self-titled album in 2014 won her a Grammy for Best Alternative Album, making her the first solo female performer to win in that category in nearly 20 years. Fun fact: she originated out of Dallas!

Our favorite tracks: Los Ageless, Masseduction, Chloe in the Afternoon 

5. Alabama Shakes, fronted by Brittany Howard,is an American blues-rock band that has an impressive four Grammys from a relatively smaller discography. Their sound is the musical equivalent of drinking refreshing lemonade on a hot summer day. Howard not only sings for this band, but plays guitar as well. 

Our favorite tracks: Always Alright, Sound & Color, Shoegaze

Journalism major. I like dogs, poetry, and iced coffee, in that order.