pho at viet bites
pho at viet bites
Sanjana Iyer

Denton’s Accidental Asian Charm Starring: Viet Bites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

On the corner of a bustling Fry Street and nestled on Hickory, Viet Bites is a casual, Asian food dream, one of the gems visited by primarily college students. Infused with enriched Vietnamese heritage, in combination with adhering to the fast-paced lifestyle of a college town, this restaurant encompasses the excellence that most Asian places scattered through Denton embody. 

viet bites lights
Sanjana Iyer

{The bright “lites” of Viet Bites}

Victoria and James Trinh quit their jobs and moved their family here to offer their cuisine to us college students and the vibrant town of Denton. 

“We never expected it to pick up quite like this,” said Victoria Trinh. “I guess this really goes to show how much America has opened up to exploring all cultures, and we are thankful for it.” 

With the original place on South Elm, this wonder serves as a fast-food type environment, aiming to make home-cooked, Asian food available to us in a very laid-back setting. With diverse vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options, this place is a hot spot for all-things-pho. 

Fresh pho, reminiscent of wintry days accompanied by steamy soup, presented with a choice selection of broths, customizable veggies, and sauces in the salad-bar style that await us. It is hands down some of the best pho around the area, and it is rare for broths to be purely vegetarian, adding to the sweet simplicity of the recipes. The flavors dance on the tongue, waltzing with Sriracha and spice. The sweet-humored name for the veggie option, “Pho’ get the Meat,” captures one’s heart even more. 

pho at viet bites
Sanjana Iyer

{A steaming bowl of “Pho’ Get the Meat”}

“My hours are really flexible, with such sweet fellow staff and the Trinh’s, and I indulge in all the food we help prepare when I can,” said student-worker, Tierra Bartie, a University of North Texas junior. “I personally enjoy the shrimp spring rolls, with a side of Thai tea.” 

Aside from the customizable pho bowls, you can make your own Banh Mi sandwiches and Com rice plates as well, from selecting the protein, broth, and then adding the veggies yourself. All the sauces are paired with either gluten-free or vegetarian alternatives as well. An exquisite array of lettuce wraps, spring rolls, Rangoons, and tofu fries catch one’s attention almost instantaneously. With such fresh produce and an engaging approach to pho, it is easy to embrace such a place as home. The whole vibe is very authentically Vietnamese coinciding with Asian fusion, including Bubble teas, Thai tea, Vietnamese coffee, and fried bananas, much like that of Indian cuisine.

“They also serve a delectable breakfast option of Pandan coconut waffles, which are a unique must-have,” said frequent diner and Texas Woman’s University junior, Naiya Patel. “I can’t help but come here at least once a week, to get my pho fixins, and all at an affordable price.”

Naiya at Viet bites
Sanjana Iyer

{Naiya gazing at fellow diners enjoying their meals}

Viet Bites also welcomes online ordering through ChowNow, allowing one to determine when the meal should be prepared. To top it off, they deliver aside from pick-up, taking Asian fast food to a whole new level. With such expansive options, it is hard to ask for more with so many diverse foods available at our fingertips. 

Viet bites cultural decor
Sanjana Iyer

{The lively interior and colorful decor of Viet Bites}

Denton encapsulates a large Asian cuisine-setting, from Thai Square to The Taste, what should we try next?

Hi, I'm Sanjana Iyer! I am a proud 20-year-old Indian-American, born and raised near Boston and moved to Austin, TX before high school. I graduated from Lake Travis HS in 2018 and am aiming to graduate a year in advance from UNT in 2021 with a Digital/Print Journalism degree and a double-minor in Criminal Justice and History. Traveling, singing, adventuring, nature, sports, and music are some of my greatest passions. I enjoy Kpop and Anime as well. I am a huge advocate for animal, environmental, minority, and women's rights. I am also an Isha Meditator, along with being one of the main vocalists for Sounds of Isha (Austin Branch). I tend to live by the phrase "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" and highly believe in a carefree, free-spirited yet spiritual, aware lifestyle. ~ Aspire to Inspire