This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Dear Jackie,

My boyfriend cheated on me when he was drunk. He never flirts with anyone else when he’s sober. Should I forgive him? I don’t know if I want to break up with him or not.

B.

Dear B,

There’s a saying that says a drunk mans words and actions reflect a sober mans words and thoughts. I do personally believe that there is truth in that. I don’t know you personally but I can tell you this, you deserve a man that would never cheat on you or even consider it. You may want to make excuses for him and say, “Oh, but he was drunk. It didn’t mean anything. I’m sure he will never do it again,” but you deserve a man who would never even put himself in a situation where he would hurt you. If you put aside emotions, the past and your apparent love for him, you would see that. You deserve all the best and you should never have to forgive someone who took advantage of your love and trust in my personal opinion. I can’t and won’t tell you what to do because it is up to you. But hear loud and clear, that a man who’s ready and loves you would never ever put himself in a situation where he may lose you.

I wish you all the best and I hope you do what is best for you regardless of what anyone else tells you.

Jackie 

Sweet, southern, sassy. I'm a multicultural, romantic, lover of books, pandas and peonies.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.