This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

October 1st is the official start of “cuffing season” and without a doubt, everyone will be searching for a boo. With that being said, here are some do’s and don’ts on “cuffing season”. 

Do: Talk things over

• Communication is key! Be sure to discuss the intentions and boundaries of this relationship you want to create. If you just want to be friends? Discuss that! If you don’t like what the other person is doing? Voice that opinion! Nothing destroys a friendship/relationship more than the lack of communication. 

Don’t: Assume the relationship status

• This is probably the second most important thing you need to know besides communication. NEVER assume a relationship status with someone without discussing it first. This not only prevents you from confusion, but it also prevents you from getting damaged emotionally. If you’re interested in wanting to pursue a relationship with the other person, shoot your shot! The worst thing they could say is no.

Do: Introduce them to your friends

• Since you’re going to spend a whole season with this person, it’s a great idea to go ahead and introduce them to your friends. Also, your friends know you the best. If they get a bad vibe or bad feeling from the person you’re with, it’s best to take their advice. Nonetheless, your friends aren’t you and don’t know what you want. Trust yourself.

Don’t: Introduce them to your parents/family (unless they agree)

• Unless you agree on it, NEVER introduce your partner to your parents without their permission. This goes for all relationships. Make sure that when you start this “cuffship”, you talk about your transparency with your parents. It’s always a good idea to talk about this before getting into the relationship.

Do: Plan fun activities together

• The whole point of the cuffing season is to spend time with the person you are “cuffed” to. There’s something fun to do for every holiday/season that you’re in. Make cuffing season fun for you and the person you’re spending it with!

Don’t: Plan designated “dates”

• Cuffing season relationships are “no strings attached” relationships. This means to not expect formal “dates”. A date is an event where two people meet romantically. With your “cuffship”, your relationship with the other person is not romantic (unless discussed otherwise).

Do: Consider extending the fling

• When you spend a whole season with someone, why not go ahead and pursue a relationship with them? It’s totally okay to go ahead and ask them if they want to continue the relationship. Just remember that it’s okay for them to say no.

Don’t: Stay with someone toxic

• With being said above, don’t stay with someone who is toxic. If the person is toxic from the beginning, leave them. Having someone to be with, is not as important as your emotional and mental health is. Also, you need to make sure that YOU’RE not the toxic one. Make sure to communicate through the entire “cuffship” to get the best out of it.

Lastly, I wanted to say that it’s not necessary to spend the holidays or “cuffing season” with anyone. There are so many ways to have fun in the fall/winter when it’s just you. You can click a link here to learn how to have fun while being single!

I am a Sophomore at the University of North Texas! I am studying Psychology and Applied Behavior Analysis. In my free time, I enjoy listening to music, watching movies with friends, and studying.