This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I know that you might not have heard, but we are currently in the middle of a very historical and life changing pandemic. I have known a few people who have gotten COVID-19, and I myself have had to get tested. There are many ways to get exposed to the virus, and it’s not always your fault. If ever in doubt, get tested. There are a few places in the Denton area that provide COVID testing. Below is my experience with three testing sights. 

1. Minor Emergency of Denton

I went here for my fist COVID test. After one of my coworkers got the virus, I had to get a rapid test, as I had been in close contact with him. I went with my boyfriend and a few coworkers to Minor Emergency of Denton. They accept insurance, but without it was pretty expensive. I suggest not going here if you do not have insurance. 

The test went by quickly, and I got my result in 15 minuets. However, the wait to get tested was around 3 hours after check in. The did allow us to leave and called us when it was our turn to get tested, which was nice as I got to go home and wait there instead of the waiting room. They were quick and effective once tested, but the wait was long, and the test was expensive without insurance. 

1. CVS Pharmacy 

The next day, I set up an appointment at a CVS Pharmacy. I wanted to get the longer test, to ensure that I did not have COVID-19. I scheduled one in the morning and drove to the CVS drive through. This test was self-administered, and I completed it all from the safety of my car. They made it very easy, giving me step by step instructions. My results were emailed to me around 4 days later. It was quick and easy, and I felt safe. I would highly recommend going this route if you do not need a rapid test.

1. The UNT Health Center 

I had been feeling a little under the weather, with a headache and nausea. Just to be careful, I decided to get tested once more. I called and made an appointment for that day. When I arrived, they were very nice and got me in right at my scheduled time. However, after my test had been taken, I waited the 20-30 minutes they told me it would take and did not hear from the doctor. After another 30 minutes, I left the room to get a nurse and ask when my result would be ready. Less than a minute later the doctor came in.

My result was negative, but it seemed like they forgot I was there. They also did not take my insurance, even though it was listed online, and I had to pay $50. If you live on campus and have no way to get to another clinic, the Health Center would work. However, I suggest going to one of the other two before trying here. 

Remember to always wear a mask and stay safe! 

Junior at UNT studying History and Pre-Law. When I'm not reading, I enjoy baking, yoga, and watching 2000s Rom Coms.