This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

In early education, the idea of having to pay for your homework seems almost comical. Unfortunately, paying for homework has become the norm for college campuses across America. On top of the cost of textbooks, college students are required to purchase access codes in order to be successful in their classes. Essentially, access codes are digital textbooks that are equipped with assignments and any additional information. While access codes are meant to be a reliable tool in college classes, they have the tendency to hinder students. I believe that the cost of access codes should either be dropped or reduced because of their financial and educational hindrance.

There is a mutual consensus among students that college is expensive! There are even instances where students have to pay out of pocket for their schooling. While an access code doesn’t weigh down book bags like textbooks, they sure do weigh down wallets like a textbook. In the past, students were able to borrow or rent fairly cheap textbooks for their studies. But as students save money, big companies lose it. Unfortunately, college is a business and the businesses need to make profit. In order to get over on students and benefit themselves, companies and campuses make it so that access codes are mandatory. In no way does forcing students to more for an overpriced, paper code teach students how to be successful.

With financial hindrance comes educational hindrance. In most cases, access codes are required in order to pass a course. These instances are harmful to students because there are those who can’t always afford codes for the year, or at least in the time frame  in which assignments are due. Without money, students do not have access codes. Without access codes, students do not have the grades needed to pass their courses. College campuses have made it to where students must rely on access codes to be successful. But students cannot be successful because they can’t afford access codes.

In conclusion, because of their financial and educational hindrance, I believe the cost of access codes should either be dropped or reduced.

Arianna Watkins

American '24

Media Arts Major||UNT '21
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.