Comedy Specials for When You Need a Good Laugh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Laughter is the best medicine, and what better way to get it than binge watching all the great comedy specials Netflix has to offer? Whether you’re having a bad day, or just in the mood for some quality jokes, here are some of my favorite comedians and their specials currently available on Netflix.

John Mulaney – New in Town, The Comeback Kid, and Kid Gorgeous. Mulaney has three iconic Netflix specials guaranteed to make your stomach hurt from laughing. Between talking about the “Street Smarts” assemblies held by Detective JJ Bittenbinder, the time he tried to get a Xanax prescription and ended up getting a prostate exam, and when he met Bill Clinton as a kid. He also has a very relatable sense of humor, and his delivery is what makes him so hilarious. Filled with entertaining bits that you’ll want to watch over and over, these three specials will have you constantly quoting his jokes with your friends.

Ken Jeong – You Complete Me, Ho. This is Jeong’s first Netflix special, but don’t let that make you doubt his talent. Known for his roles in The Hangover trilogy and Crazy Rich Asians, Jeong talks about his experience working with these movies, the lasting influence of his character, Mr. Chow, and his previous career as a doctor. His timing and his interactions with the audience will win you over in just the first few minutes, and you’ll be waiting for the day he releases another special.

Gabriel Iglesias – Hot and Fluffy, I’m Sorry for What I Said When I Was Hungry, and One Show Fits All. Famous for his voices and sound effects, Iglesias has filmed several comedy specials, each just as funny as the next. After hearing his stories about racist gift baskets, his son growing up, and an interview with Snoop Dogg, you’ll want to look up his other shows as soon as possible. You’ll also crack up at his explanation of his memorable line and nickname, “I’m not fat, I’m fluffy!”

Jack Whitehall – At Large. This British comedian also has relatable humor, and his delivery and facial expressions make his jokes even more laughable. His descriptions of his cut part in Frozen, the terrifying responsibilities you may not realize you have when flying on planes, and his experiences at weddings are so entertaining you may find it difficult to keep up with his energy. So far, Whitehall only has the one Netflix special, but watching it will make you wish he had much more.

Bert Kreischer – The Machine and Secret Time. Kreischer’s jokes range from wrestling a grizzly bear to the mindset of his daughters to his involvement with the Russian mafia, even though he only knew about two sentences in Russian. Funny and full of energy, his stories will make you wonder what could happen if you ended up taking Russian classes. His performance may seem strange, but his material is definitely entertaining.

These are only a few of comedy specials available on Netflix, so if you find yourself wanting more, don’t hesitate to try out some different comedians. You never know who might have a similar sense of humor as you!

Senior at UNT majoring in advertising and double minoring in English and social sciences.