This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

“We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” 

Joseph Campbell

Making a choice can be life altering. Whether it be a small choice, like what to wear for the day. Or a big choice, like whether to take a certain job or not. Both of which can be extremely fruitful choices. What you decide to wear one day may spark a conversation with a stranger that can be a possible networking opportunity. Which started solely off the color or pattern on your shirt. The job you were on the fence about taking may help you gain experience to better suit you for a job you really want in the future. 

Oftentimes we view choices as burdens we have to endure, instead of fully embracing a choice. I say why not embrace a choice? Choices shape your life, choices create change, choices create adventure. One should be embracing an opportunity to choose for themselves. You have 365 days to make choices, some times more than once in the same day. Women alone have 1000 choices to make in a day as opposed to men. Sit down and take the time to reflect on the choices yo have made and how they have altered your life. You will then see how powerful making a choice really is. You will learn to value the opportunity a lot more. 

As women I feel as though the reason we are on the fence about making choices is that we fear the choice we make may be the wrong one. But always keep in mind that a WRONG choice is not always a BAD choice. Bad choices are the choices you know you should not ask anyone for advice. Choices you are going to pursue come hell or high water. Ones you would not dare mention to anyone to avoid being talked out of it. When in the process of making a bad choice, we give little to no care what anyone thinks about it- so we remove others from the equation all together. 

Making choices is apart of life. They pave the road for you. Every choice is a cross road, you can either take a left or a right. Not making a choice creates a traffic jam, allowing for a huge loss of time at YOUR expense. I feel as though making choices allows you to be better in control of your life. Who doesn’t want to be in charge of their life

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.