Celebrating Black Herstory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

As much as I hate to tear you away from Pinteresting nursery ideas to DM to Beyoncé, it’s the first day of Black History Month and that is a means for celebration. In this racially-tense era, it is important to highlight and recognize the achievements of black women, even amidst the backdrop of systemic racism (as well as sexism, classism —and all the other -isms that compromise the well-being and safety of black women). As we take this month (and hopefully the rest of the year) to reflect on the contributions of black people and persons of color in general, I decided to highlight some of the work, experiences, and voices of black women in America. So, with this in mind, I compiled a list of books, movies, and podcasts to dive deeper into the lived experiences and collective wisdom of black women!

Take a break from Netflix and fall into these books, poems, documentaries and podcasts!

Books to Read:

Black Girl Dangerous: On Race, Queerness, Class and Gender by Mia McKenzie

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae Sister

Outsider: Essays and Speeches by Audre Lorde

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

The Collected Poetry of Nikki Giovanni: 1968-1998

Documentaries to Watch:    

The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975

Through a Lens Darkly: Black Photographers and the Emergence of a People

Dark Girls/ Light Girls

Mama Africa

13th

Pariah    

Podcasts to Listen to: Black Girls Talking

She’s Beauty & the Beast

Friends Like Us

Melanin Millennials

Happy Black History Month!

UNT Junior Integrative Studies major with focuses in Women and gender Studies, Political Science and International Studies. Minoring in photography and journalism. Born and raised in the heart of Chicago, but relocated to Texas for school. I'm passionate about photography, fashion, foods, Vintage polaroid and old records.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.