Style > Beauty

Budget Friendly Hair Holy Grails for Thick Curly Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

For girls with thick, curly hair, finding products that won’t dry out and strip our hair is nothing less than a migraine. We sit for hours on YouTube binge watching “curly hair gurus” praying that we’ll find some spiritual guidance on how to achieve those popping curls that we all crave. After years of breaking the bank, searching the internet and disappointments, I am happy to say that I have found 4 perfect holy grails that will nourish your curls and your coin.

1. Jamaican Mango & Lime Black Castor Oil (Price $7.99)

Everyone knows that castor oil is the truth, but many would rather live in lies because of its repelling aroma. But now, after years of searching for the perfect oil I have now found the perfect match. The Jamaican Mango & Lime Black Castor Oil in coconut is perfectly thick, promising to moisturize and penetrate dry and frizzy strands, and the addition of coconut makes the castor oil smell delicious.

Photo courtesy (target.com)

3. Eden Body Works “Coconut Shea Curling Jelly” (Price $8.99)

While most gels leave your curls with a crunch, this lightweight curling jelly does everything but. Unlike the cult classic Eco Styler (another budget friendly favorite) the Eden body works jelly does not flake and leaves your curls with a bouncy and natural finish.

3. Maui Moisture curl smoothie curl quench coconut (Price: $6.49)                                                                                                                                                                                   

Like every other product on this list, this creamy curl smoothie is just as moisturizing and smells amazing. Because of the curl smoothie’s thick and creamy texture, it is perfect for my girls with type 3 to 4 hair types who are looking for a product that can fully saturate and moisturize your hair.

4. Maui Moisture Strength & Anti-breakage + Agave Hair Mask for Chemically Damaged Hair ($6.99)

To say that I’m obsessed with this hair mask is a complete understatement. This moisturizing mask will leave your tresses smelling like a tropical heaven on earth. And because it claims to target those with chemically damaged hair, the mask has a thick and creamy hair coating texture that is absolutely perfect for my curly girls with higher porosity and thicker strands.

Kaitlyn Ingram is currently a freshman Journalism major at The University of North Texas. She loves coming of age indie movies, rainy days, and traveling. Her daydreams are filled with hopes of writing for a lifestyle magazine and thriving in a bustling city. Instagram & Twitter: @Kaitlynxingram
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.