This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Let’s face it! Black Friday isn’t the same anymore, and it’s sad!

There was a time when we would wait all year for this day, and prepare for it as if it was war, but it seems as if that is a thing of the past. Sure, people still get really excited for Black Friday and the amazing deals, but the dynamic of the “holiday” isn’t the same anymore.

People don’t wait in lines outside of Best Buy the night before impatiently waiting to trample people for a ridiculously low-priced TV anymore. Instead, they have the luxury of starting their shopping as early as 5pm on Thanksgiving night and sometimes even earlier than that.

Sales are starting as early as November 1st, and online deals are better than the in-store deals for the simple fact that you don’t even have to leave your bed to get them. Amazon had “early Black Friday” deals on their website the week before Thanksgiving, “Black Friday deals” the week of Black Friday, and “Cyber Monday week deals” the week after Thanksgiving.

The fairly new “holiday” Cyber Monday has really caused the anticipation for Black Friday to diminish. Cyber Monday allows you to get great deals that Black Friday offers (sometimes even better deals) on products without even leaving the comfort of your home. Who wouldn’t prefer that over the usual chaos Black Friday brings to every department store and mall? What was once a single day of shopping like crazy has turned into almost an entire month of shopping.

Black Friday isn’t dead, but it doesn’t hold the hype that it did a few years ago. In the recent years, we have been blessed with technology that allows to do so many tasks via the internet, and that includes shopping. Some say the convenience of online shopping could have the ability to one day make Black Friday extinct, but I doubt it. There are still so many people who enjoy the tradition and thrill of the holiday.

Black Friday will always be one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions despite how different it is now. The chaos and excitement of the holiday may have disappeared, but the great deals are still there!

I'm a junior at the University of North Texas. My interests range from reading to astrology to bullet journaling. When I'm not at school or at work, I'm trying new foods or online shopping!
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.