The Beginner’s and Nonbeliever’s Guide to Crystal Magick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I, like many others, used to believe that crystals were nothing more than pretty, postable rocks that sit and collect dust on shelves after securing some Instagram likes. It wasn’t until I learned the proper basics to crystal magick and started believing in the process that it worked for me. Crystals, gems, and stones have the power to draw good friends and lovers into your life, help you land that job interview, fill up your wallet, keep negativity far from you, and more— as long as you know how to use them! 

For crystal magick to be successful, it’s imperative to know these few things:

1. Crystal magick operates around energy; crystals hold, carry, and dispel various kinds of energy to accomplish the bringing and dispeling of things into and out of your life.

2. Crystals can only hold so much energy, so it is important to clear energy out of your crystals often (once a month is usually a safe amount!).

3. Crystals can be cleared via sitting them in a windowsill during a full moon, placing them in a singing bowl (or other methods of sound healing), or accompanying your crystals with a piece of selenite.

These small bits of information are all you need to enter the world of crystal magick! If you’re interested in testing the waters and exploring how crystals may be good for you, here is a list of some must have crystals. The first seven are great for beginners and each correspond with one of the seven chakras:

1. Clear Quartz

Clear crystals are great for opening up the crown chakra and working with higher powers. Clear quartz is perfect for these goals, as it helps keep you in tune with your higher self and to strengthen your aura.

Potential Alternatives: Aura Quartz, Petalite, Apophyllite 

1. Amethyst

Amethyst is probably your #1 crystal to have! It’s a catch-all stone which makes it perfect for pretty much any intention you may want to achieve with it. Generally, purple stones work to open your third eye chakra and develop psychic abilities. Amethyst is often used to ease stress and anxiety, aid in sleep, and rid any negative energy.

Potential Alternatives: Lepidolite & Sugilite

1. Lapis Lazuli

A blue stone, lapis is good for opening up communication and the throat chakra. Specifically, lapis aids in communication with higher powers and stimulates enlightenment. Further, lapis is good for easing suffering, creating harmony, and confronting truths.

Potential Alternatives: Blue Kyanite, Blue Quartz, Sodalite

1. Green Aventurine

Green stones are key to opening the heart chakra and to the pathway for healing. The green color allows for emotional growth and prosperity. This gem also aids in the finding and creating of new friendships.

Potential Alternatives: Emerald & Green Jade

1. Tiger’s Eye

This gem is a protective stone and works to balance the lower chakras. It aids the carrier in clearing issues of self worth and in allowing thought to take on a coherent nature. Tiger’s Eye works to bring balance in the mind and in the physical life.

Potential Alternatives: Bronzite & Zircon

1. Citrine

Citrine promotes high levels of creativity and energy. The crystal opens up the solar plexus and sacral chakras, allowing a greater flow in self-expression. Citrine helps in manifestation, positive outlooks, and encourages joy.

Potential Alternatives: Orange Calcite & Amber

7. Red Jasper

Jasper aligns the chakras and the body, mind, and soul’s needs. Red Jasper is a grounding stone, working to open the root and sacral chakras. In doing so, it promotes courage and confidence in the wearer. Someone who carries Red Jasper may find an increase in self-assertion and in creative thinking.

Potential Alternatives: Carnelian, Petrified Wood, Garnet

Some other gems to keep on hand:

• Black Tourmaline: used for protection, emotional grounding and aura cleansing.

• Rose Quartz: promotes self love, peace, and heart healing.

• Selenite: eases transitions; promotes clarity and cleansing (Selenite can be used to clear unwanted energy from people, spaces, or other crystals)

Samantha is currently a junior at UNT and is studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in philosophy. She enjoys poetry, creative non-fiction, and all things witchy. She can be found on instagram and twitter under @ghostgrimoire.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.