Avoiding the Slump: 6 Tips for College Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

So many articles around this time of year are solely focused on tips and advice for freshmen. Don’t get me wrong, starting college is a whirlwind experience that definitely warrants mention.

But as a college senior just one semester away from being thrust into the big bad world, I figured I’d compile a list of some helpful tips for some of the more seasoned collegiettes.

Avoid senioritis and stay motivated, you’re almost at the end.

Believe me, I know the urge to skip class and do the bare minimum is strong, but you’ve worked this hard and made it this far. Why not finish strong? Your Netflix queue will still be there on the weekends.

Spend time with your friends and family whenever you can.

Senior year is busy. Whether you’re trying to keep your head above water in your classes, managing school and work and all the organizations you joined because you thought they’d look fantastic on your resume, make time your friends and family. Once college wraps up, more likely than not, everyone is going to separate, all called down their specific paths and you won’t have the luxury of seeing them every day.  So go get brunch with your family, have a movie night with your squad, spend as much time with that support system as you can  

Network with your professors. Do your assignments, participate in class discussion, go to their office hours. So many professors have done some amazing work in their field of interest that they love talking about. If you’re interested, talk with them, see how they got where they are now. Worst case scenario nothing comes of it, but best case scenario you make a lasting connection that could mean larger networking and friendship potential in the future.

Prioritize your time.

Stop committing your time to things that do not enrich you. I know that it is tempting to try and fill your schedule to the brim to keep your FOMO at bay, but overcommitting turns fun activities into stressful situations that you can’t truly enjoy.  

Take advantage of all the college resources you can. Go to the Career Center and talk about internships and careers post-grad. Set up an appointment with the Money Management office so you can start figuring out your finances. Take advantage of all the counseling, support and meditation groups available.

Don’t stress out too much about the future.

Cut yourself some slack. It is so easy to get really overwhelmed about the uncertainty that the future can bring. Take some time to really think about what you want, what will fulfill you and make you happy. The future is scary, but it is also so exciting. Always remind yourself thatyou have all the power to shape and mold it into everything you’ve dreamed of.

UNT Junior Integrative Studies major with focuses in Women and gender Studies, Political Science and International Studies. Minoring in photography and journalism. Born and raised in the heart of Chicago, but relocated to Texas for school. I'm passionate about photography, fashion, foods, Vintage polaroid and old records.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.