This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Hey everyone! My name is Allexis Stirman, but I go by Lexi! I am a junior at the University of North Texas majoring in Special Education. After finishing my undergrad, I want to complete a master’s degree at UNT as well. My childhood dream has always been to teach abroad in a third world country (well, I had a lot of dreams back then lol). My grandparents and dad were all teachers for 20+ years from history, art, computer science and English classes. Being in a family educator definitely influenced my decision my sophomore year of college after I had changed my major more than three times. I have always had an interest in cultures other than mine, and being able to absorb and learn the way others do. This past summer I was able to travel to Europe and Spain with my boyfriend’s family (articles coming soon about that trip), and this was my first time out of the country! London, I felt was a central hub to see almost every culture in the world. I for sure had a culture shock when I was there. I think it would be a great opportunity to teach abroad and see how other educators teach and how children learn in other countries. After I return from teaching abroad, my boyfriend and I want to potentially move to the pacific Northwest. I would want to teach there and be active in the community as well. 

My childhood- There were a lot of good times and like every family, there were some rough patches along the road. I was born in Lewisville, Tx on October 27th, 1997. I did have some difficulty breathing on my own due to being wrapped around the umbilical cord. I was in the NICU for a day or so. For the first 4 years of my life, we lived in Lewisville and then moved to Argyle. I have two older brothers, Coleton and Willis, the oldest being 12 years older than myself. I went to elementary and middle school in Argyle and moved after 7th grade to Carrollton, Tx. I attended Hebron High School until I finished high school in 2016. When we had to move in 2010, I did fall into a state of depression where I did not want to do any extracurricular activities at my new school. I had a difficult time making friends at Hebron, however I was very independent and loved my alone time. After graduating high school early in January of 2016, we moved to Lake Dallas, and I started attending NCTC, a community college in the town over. I really enjoyed my two years at NCTC, and I believe it definitely prepared me for my time at UNT. I transferred to UNT in the fall of 2018 and was planning to get my undergraduate degree in social work, but after my first semester I decided to change my major to Special Education. I can’t wait to see what the last of my college years hold as a new member of Her Campus and as the first Texas ambassador for Queen V.

My hobbies and other things- Growing up one of my all-time favorite’s trips were going to City by the Sea were my family, and I would fish, go to the beach, and just relax for a week or so. We would go there almost every year with my cousins up until I was eleven. I was very imaginative as a young child and would always be outside building something, making mud pies, or digging a hole to China (lol). I played basketball for several years and tennis during high school. After starting college, I gained a lot more interest and hobbies including embroidery, watercolor painting, writing, and lots more! This semester I have really come out of my shell and joined several activities which I am very excited about.

(Thank you all for reading, articles about my trip to Europe and Spain coming soon!!)

Hey everyone! My name is Allexis Stirman I am a current junior at UNT majoring in Special Education. After my undergrad I plan to stay at UNT for my masters program. After I have received both of those I want to teach abroad for a couple years in a third world country right now I have been set on Kenya. When I return to America my boyfriend and I plan to settle down in the pacific northwest were I will continue to teacher and be active in a community. I look forward to a great year writing articles for Her Campus.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.