This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The life of a college student can be extremely hectic with assignments due here and organization meetings there. It is so easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle of trying to maintain that 4.0 GPA, social life and sleep schedule. We tend to forget to take care of ourselves. Here are a few small (and big) ways to treat yo’ self on a daily basis.

1. Take a nap- This seems like an obvious one, but a nap can really do a lot of good for you. Take some time out of your day, even if you have to schedule it, and take a nap. You’ll hopefully wake up feeling refreshed, and ready to tackle what’s next for you.

2. Do some skincare- It could be as simple as putting on a face mask and doing some homework, or be as extensive as going through a complete routine before you go to bed every night. Taking care of your skin is both good for  you and a good way to relax.

3. Watch your favorite show or movie- When you’re feeling overwhelmed with all of your school work, take a break and watch your favorite movie or your favorite show. I would suggest something funny to distract you from whatever it is that is stressing you out.

4. Meditate- I highly suggest this. It would only take about ten minutes out of your day, and it is the perfect way to destress and clear your mind. You could do it right when you wake up or before you go to bed. Meditating can be a little difficult for people in the beginning, so I highly suggest downloading the app Headspace! It really walks you through the process.

5. Exercise- Most of you will look at this one, and immediately say ‘ew’, and before I actually tried it, I did too. However, this one is another really good way to destress. You may not feel good or excited before you do it, but after you feel amazing and accomplished. When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins that trigger a positive feeling in your body. A small workout can be a good way to treat yourself after a long day.

6. Listen to music- Listening to music seems like such a simple task, but turning up the jams, and dancing around your room is a great way to take a break. Turn on your favorite song, and dance around your room like no one is watching!

7. Retail therapy- There’s no therapy like retail therapy. Buy that thing that you’ve been eyeing, or even window shop. I know you have a couple of things sitting in your cart. Buy one of them, or all of them. Go to your favorite online website and just browse around the new arrivals. In the wise words of Tom and Donna from Parks and Rec, TREAT YO SELF.

8. Keep a gratitude log- I’m sure this sounds tedious, but I promise you that it is not. I used to bullet journal, so I would keep track of it there, but you definitely use the notes app in your phone or your planner. At the end of each day, just write down something good that happened to you that day, or what you’re grateful for.

9. Take a bubble bath- Grab some Epsom salt, essential oils and take the best bubble bath ever. The oils and Epsom salt will soothe you, and the bubbles are always a fun touch. Soak until all of your troubles seem like that of the past. I would also recommend lighting a couple of candles. Aromatherapy is real!

It is so important to take of yourself mentally. There are a multitude of other ways that you can implement self-care or just time to yourself in the midst of your busy days. Try to not slip into the habit of putting yourself on the back burner, and always remember treat yo’ self.

I'm a junior at the University of North Texas. My interests range from reading to astrology to bullet journaling. When I'm not at school or at work, I'm trying new foods or online shopping!
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.