8 Best Holiday Events in DFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Want to sleigh the holidays with your bae? (sorry, I had to go there!) Here’s a list from your girls at UNT Her Campus of the best ways to celebrate the holidays around the Dallas/ Fort Worth metroplex. Now that we are done with finals it’s time to celebrate!

1. Lone Star Christmas & ICE! At Gaylord Texan

Nov. 10 – Jan. 1 2017

Everything is bigger in Texas- including Christmas decorations! The Gaylord Texan resort truly goes all out in in their display. ICE! is a world renowned exhibit of ice sculptures and tickets are available online. If you’re looking for a free way to celebrate simply walk around the resort, and take in the wonderful sights.

2.  Panther Island Ice Skating

Nov .18 – Jan. 16 2017

As Fort Worth’s only outdoor ice skating rink this is the place to be. The location serves as Coyote Drive-In during the summer and Panther Island Ice Skating in the winter. Classic holiday music, hot chocolate, and Santa Clause will be in abundance during the holiday season.

3. Gift of Lights at Texas Motor Speedway

Nov. 24 – Dec. 30, 2016

With over 2 million LED lights, this drive-thru display of Holiday Lights at the Texas Motor Speedway is a Texan holiday tradition! This is a wonderful way to stay warm in the comfort of your car while enjoying festive decorations with those you love.

4. Texas Christkindl Market at Globe Life Park

Nov. 25- Dec. 23 2016

Inspired by German tradition, the Texas Christkindl Market in Arlington, Texas is one of the largest open holiday markets in the Southwest. Located next Six Flags and Nolan Ryan Expressway, this family-friendly market is a distinctive shopping experience for gifts and holiday decorations along with authentic German cuisine, holiday beverages, live entertainment, children’s activities, and more!

5. Six Flags Over Texas’ Holiday in the Park

Through Jan. 3 2017

Light shows, Santa Claus, and Christmas decorations like gingerbread houses are what you can expect at Six Flags this holiday season. This family-friendly event is a Christmas spin on the amusement park’s usual assortment of rides and games.

6. 12 Days of Christmas at The Arboretum

When: Nov. 6- Jan. 3 2017

There are holiday decorations galore themed to the 12 Days of Christmas, which, fortunately for us, lasts longer than 12 days at Dallas’ renowned botanical gardens. Take in the sights through a scenic walk, and make sure to bundle up!  

7. Ice Skating at the Galleria in Dallas, TX

Open through Jan. 5th 2017

The indoor skating rink inside the mall is a great date idea! Saturdays through Dec. 20 the Galleria will celebrate its massive Christmas tree featuring Olympic-level skaters and a “pyrotechnic Santa.” This is an experience you don’t want to miss out on.

8. Grand Prairie Lights

Thanksgiving Night – Sunday, January 1

The Grand Prairie Lights are a Texas favorite. However, plan to arrive a few hours early if going on Friday or Saturday night. These lights draw in big crowds!

I hope this list inspired you to take part in local holiday traditions. Let us know which events are your favorites in the comment section below. Enjoy the holiday season, collegiettes

Lauren is a Public Relations major at University of North Texas with a passion for blogging, DIY, food and learning about the world. She's a self-proclaimed Pinterest addict, coffee lover and constant smiler who can (almost always) be caught eating. She has a serious case of wanderlust and hopes to one day work for a lifestyle and PR firm, as well as publish work focusing on travel.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.